Moving Strawberries and Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Strawberries and Raspberries

We're giving up some of our allotment, it's just becoming a bit too much. We want to take some of the strawberry and raspberry runners with us. Trouble is I've been told now is probably not the right time of year to do it. So what to do? I could pot up the strawberries and keep them in the coldframe over the winter but would that work for the raspberries too? The rasps are autumn fruiting Erika and they're lovely so we'd really like to take some with us. Advice please

Now is a perfectly good time to move strawberries. They will settle in just fine. To be honest, any time they are not actively fruiting and flowering is a perfectly good time to move strawberries. They are tough plants and establish well.

As for the raspberries, when do you have to move them by? Now is not ideal, but we're only about a month away from them going dormant, at which point moving them would be no problem.
    If you really do have to move them now, just move them as you usually would: dig them up, then plant in their new home as soon as possible. Although they're not dormant yet, the weather is cool and the soil is damp, so they should survive just fine. Raspberries, too, are tough and establish well.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

As for the raspberries, when do you have to move them by? Now is not ideal, but we're only about a month away from them going dormant, at which point moving them would be no problem
      I could wait until December to do the raspberries, would that be better?

Comment

Yes, much better. Even November would probably be okay, to be honest. Any time after they lose their leaves.

Comment

They are both pretty tough varieties.
          Strawberry runners set themselves for most of the growing season.
          Raspberry canes often sprout and root in the compost heap if there is any green left on them.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X