Advice on growing musk strawberries (Fragaria moschata) from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on growing musk strawberries (Fragaria moschata) from seed

I have musk strawberries to grow from seed. I’m sure I need to stratify them. But I’m not sure whether I should freeze or refrigerate them or for how long. Anyone have any ideas? I’m thinking I should freeze them for 4 weeks like alpines. Thanks.

They don't come from excessively cold climates, so I can't imagine they would need freezing. If anything, I would have thought freezing hydrated seeds in a home freezer may kill them (the -20 your freezer reaches is far colder than they would likely encounter in the wild).

A lot of seeds which need stratifying will actually germinate in the fridge. Just sow them in a small seed tray of damp compost and leave them in the fridge, near the front (where it's slightly warmer, but still cold enough to give them the cold hours they need) and they are likely to germinate on their own after a while.

Another option is just to let nature take it's course. Sow them in pot or seed tray and just leave it outside over winter. They should germinate come spring.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X