No announcement yet.

Why have raspberry canes grown so tall?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why have raspberry canes grown so tall?

This year's growth has been out of control!
    ​​​​​​Raspberry canes on three plots have grown to 9ft which is unheard of.
    There's no fruit on any, they have just grown straight up and smooth. They have been in the ground for a number of years and were cut down as always late last year.
    I'm sure they should be summer fruiting.
    Has anyone a theory or solution for this occurrence?​​​​​​

Comment

Summer fruiting raspberries fruit on the previous year's growth, so these canes having no fruit is normal. The canes that grew up this year will fruit next year.
      As for the height, I've never had them grow quite that tall, but 7-8 feet is fairly normal for summer raspberries. Height tends to vary somewhat based on variety and growing conditions, though.

Comment

My autumn rasps have grown stupidly tall too. Thankfully they have plenty fruit growing, though not sure how I’m going to harvest them!

Comment

Did you get fruit eventually? I have got loads coming now and had half a kilo from them in the last two days. Really awkward to pick though have had to use a step ladder.

Comment

Mine were the same this year, very poor harvest, maybe we had a lot of rain at some time rather than sun?

Comment

My autumn raspberries grew about seven feet tall. Planted in spring 2020 as bare root, we got a handful of fruit last year, but this year there wasn't a flower on them. OH is threatening them with removal if their game isn't raised next year....
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X