Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else discovered the seeds or plants they ordered are something else?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
    So far there has only been male flowers and they have not been all that big.
    I will just have to wait for some of the female flowers to set to get a better idea of the fruit shape.
    If the flowers are small then they are melons, regardless of shape. Male and female flowers are the same size.

Also, you said in your previous post that looking at the back of the female flowers you thought they looked like butternuts. How can you have done that if you haven't had any female flowers yet?

Comment

All the female flowers are still buds. You don't have to wait for them to open to sex them.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I have been at it with the camera.
        First is a butternut from saved seed and then the melon that looks like another butternut and a male flower on the so called melon.
        For comparison I have a cucumber and marrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2555.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2550076 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2557.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	2550077 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2560.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	2550078 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2556.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	2550079 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2563.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	2550080

Comment

Oh yeah, that's a squash and no mistake. Those flowers, leaves, and the plants in general are way too large for melons. Melon plants are dainty, smaller than cucumber plants, much less squash.

Next time, compare your "melon" seeds to some cucumber seeds. If they are melons, they should look identical.

Comment

It looks like I am going to have overgrown butternuts and no melons this year.
            I have also got some cucamelon plants. They suffered with blackbird dig up and had to be covered with wire mesh. They are very flimsy vines but are in flower.

Comment

I had a cucamelon plant from a friend in 2020. I liked the little fruit, but I know many people don't. My brother-in-law loves cucumber and he really liked them. Very easy to grow in the greenhouse, it just scrambles about itself. I'm going to grow one again next year at the request of the b-i-l .
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

What I can say is that the packet of melon seeds was not. They have come up as butternuts and will most likely generate a complaint as I already have some that are now flowering with both male and female flowers.
                The cucamelons look like they will soon have fruit. These were from a packet of seeds.
                The cucumbers produced one cucumber before the spell of hot weather but now have several fruits set. At least they came up as per the seed packet.

Comment

Last year I grew Black Russian toms that came with GYO mag, but they turned out to be same as the Black Cherry that I already grow. I did contact T&M and they offered a different pack as a replacement, 3 others posted in the thread to say they had the same problem.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I bought some tomato seeds this year which were supposed to be Ildi (yellow cherry). They seem to be a pink Oxheart variety.

Comment

Those butternuts that grew from a melon seed packet have gone rampant.
                      They have mown down about half of my cucumbers and cucamelons and went on to a bed of kohlrabi.
                      I have had to jack up the flying rat shield in order to save the kohlrabi.
                      Some of the cucamelons have made it onto the provided steel frame and are producing a few fruits.
                      The self seeded red spinach never produced enough for harvesting in one go and are now in seed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	2551069

Comment

I've had a few strange things, the most memorable being some pink fleshed potatoes that were supposed to be Maris Bard. They were also memorable for being small and extremely floury, when I was expecting waxy new potatoes. This year I bought 16 cauliflower Maybach plants from Marshalls, as I usually do. 14 of them were cauliflowers, the other 2 were some variety of pointed cabbage.

From seed, this year I have grown dwarf Rudbeckias which are a mixture of dwarf plants about a foot high and much larger ones, which would have been well over 3ft had they not fallen over.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X