Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strawberries Ive had enough

cant grow outside any more the mice get them all
    wondering about growing in hanging baskets/trough in conservatory like the idea of hydroponics
    does any one grow them successfully with hydroponics

Bernie will probably be along soon

quote from one of his posts here (5th post down) https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...13#post2527747
    "Grow some perpetual ones in a pot under cover, I grow Mara des Bois in my greenhouse to get an earlier crop."

Sorry don't know about hydroponics but hope this helps
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

My neighbour has rigged up a outdoor construction about 1.8m off the ground with drain pipes (hung horizontally with holes cut into them for the plants). He's using regular compost though and has to water a lot.

Comment

I don't use hydroponics, but I have grown them in pots window boxes and will be growing them in hanging baskets next year. I grow the perpetuals, you don't get a huge crop at once, but a steady crop through the year from May to October. Plant in good compost, use the runners for next yeasr plants and ditch the originals after 4 years, I add slow release fertiliser each spring and feed every week during fruiting season with either seaweed or Tomorite liquid feed. I am able to grow the more traditional outside ones like Cambridge Faves' and Elsanta as well, never tried growing those under glass. Remember you may well need to help with pollination with a small paintbrush, though at this time of year, you can put the containers outside, then bring them in when the Wasps start eating them.

Comment

I know what you mean. I can only grow the outdoors under a constructed frame and wire because of the squirrels and still lose a bit to the slugs/snails. This year I have taken up lots of greenhouse space with some and magpies got in the other day and ate loads of them. Am just going for outdoor in the frame next year I think.

Comment

I grow strawberries in pots mostly starting them inside in my poly tunnel.

I'm still looking for the easiest way to keep the various pests from eating them. If I had any sense I'd give it up and just buy them from the supermarket.

Comment

If you had strawberries in wall baskets,the mice wouldn’t find them,I’ve got these self watering types that need filling about once a week,they’re about fifteen years old,they’d be good for your strawberry plants they’ve got about an inch deep reservoir…..
              Last edited by Jungle Jane; 20-06-2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

thats a good idea

Comment

I had wall baskets all over a side of my shed for growing strawberries, they did fantastically like that.
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I pulled. all my strawberries up, on the allotment, they looked so good this year, but kind of disappeared! They were netted etc, I guess just getting old!

even the ones in pots not as good as last year! Back to supermarket ones I guess!

Comment

Dorothy, mine were not great this year either.
                      I think it was the dry spell that did it for me.
                      Maybe I should have wanted more often.
                      Theres always next year.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've had a lot of strawberry green petal disease this year. I've removed 5 plants with it so far.

Other than that, though, the only issue I've had is slug attacks. I've still managed to pick a good crop.

Comment

Chucked the strawberries from the greenhouse that were a few years old and not giving such good berries any more. Came back from holiday hoping to get a nice crop from my outside ones to find that the wooden frames covering them had been knocked or slipped which means the squirrels have been in and eaten them all. I despair.

Comment

I find I can grow strawberries OK - not spectacularly well, but good enough. The problem I have is getting any fruit ripe enough to eat. Squirrels, birds, mice, rats, deer - you name it they all get there before me. The only fruit I've picked this year has been the odd one from pots in my poly tunnel and a few from 4 pots in my conservatory - really not worth the effort to grow them as I am currently. I either give up or find a better system

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X