Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Elderberry / elderflower variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my elderflower a couple of days ago....

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8314E64-A0C1-49B8-886C-46B0349FC1E7.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2527681
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Went out and picked 80 or so heads of elderflower today from one of the local trees (the tree is absolutely massive, some 15 feet tall and 25-30 feet wide. 80 is a fraction of 1% of the total blossoms).
      They smelled lovely as I was trimming them ready for freezing (I don't have time to make the cordial and champagne a the moment), so I should get a good batch this year, unlike last year when the blossoms where largely flavourless for some reason.

Comment

I never thought of freezing the flowers. Do they have to be loosely packed, or can you cram them into a bag or container? Or do you open freeze them first, then pack into containers? I'd like to try it while there is so much blossom about.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

I'm picking and freezing at the moment, a mix of native elder and black lace.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            I never thought of freezing the flowers. Do they have to be loosely packed, or can you cram them into a bag or container? Or do you open freeze them first, then pack into containers? I'd like to try it while there is so much blossom about.
            I just trim the heads (that is, cut off an excessive stalk on them), shake any bugs out, then pack them into a plastic bag, squeeze all of the air out, and put them in the freezer.
            I've done it every year for the past three years, and they retain most if not all of their flavour.

The only caveat is that you must use the blossoms direct from frozen. Add the frozen flowers straight to the water for the cordial/champagne/whatever. Do not defrost them first, or they go brown.

Comment

Good to know…thanks!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Who can tell in short about their useful properties? I have never heard anything in this respect, I am from Texas, navigate here. I know there is plenty of recipes online, but I prefer to get such information from first hands, as not all online resources are trustworthy enough. So, please be so kind to educate me a little if you have a free minute. And special thanks for this freezing tip.
                Last edited by demoosa; 21-06-2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X