Cordons - netting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordons - netting

I have several redcurrant and gooseberry cordons grown against a six foot fence and I wonder if I really need to net them with them being cordons, I know i would have to for bushes but cordons ?

Red Currants seem to draw birds from miles around, I only get Blackbirds eating my guzz gogs so don't bother netting those.

Comment

Blackbirds don't take that many fruits but do guard the bush against other birds. The main problem with blackbirds is that they tend to throw the compost and soil all over the place.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Redcurrants are very attractive to many birds. I see lots of sparrows taking the ones at the allotment.
        Where I am birds are not really much of a problem with fruit, so I generally don't need to net stuff, but redcurrants, along with strawberries and cherries, are the only things they will definitely take.

Comment

I don’t net any fruit,I never have a problem but I feed the birds all year,I think they like me

Comment

Depends on where you ;live. Birds are more of a problem in some places than others. Being in the country on the edge of woodland I would get no soft fruit if I did not net it.

Comment

We have espalier pear, apple and cherry trees and a stand alone Victoria plum. We net them. Also net the gooseberries, red and black currants. Wood pigeons will strip everything in our garden if we didn’t.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X