Anyone grow Tulameen Raspberry?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone grow Tulameen Raspberry?

Last spring I bought some Raspberry canes from Sainsbury's which were marked as variety Tulameen. I have grown raspberries in the past and had always wanted to try this variety, so was looking forward to them getting established with a view to a crop this year, as my research showed they were a summer fruiting variety.
    Here's the thing - they grew well, but flowered and produced fruit on the new canes, like an Autumn fruiting variety!!
    So I'm wondering, does this variety sometimes produce a crop on the new canes and then go on to produce a full crop on the same canes the following year, or have these canes been mislabelled and are actually a proper autumn variety?
    I cut the fruited canes out after cropping on the assumption they were mislabelled- on reflection should have maybe left one cane to see what happened!
    Anybody grown/growing Tulameen who could give me any guidance?
    Any help appreciated!

Here you go, it's an autumn one, Rubus idaeus 'Tulameen' (F) | raspberry 'Tulameen'/RHS Gardening

Comment

Says summer fruiting?

Comment

Seems to grow on new wood, it tells you to cut all the shoots to the ground and tie in new growth, my plants are autumnal late season type, but can give fruit in August.

Comment

Tulameen raspberries are a late summer variety. Mid July to mid August----at least mine are.
          Last edited by fishpond; 20-04-2021, 04:39 PM.
          Feed the soil, not the plants.
          (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
          Bob

Comment

Thanks fishpond - can I assume that they have never cropped on the current seasons growth as well as 1 year old wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberious View Post
              Thanks fishpond - can I assume that they have never cropped on the current seasons growth as well as 1 year old wood?
              Most autumn raspberries can also crop on the previous year's growth, at the same time as summer raspberries, if you leave the canes unpruned the previous year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X