Citrus self-setting fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citrus self-setting fruit

I know many varieties of citrus are self-setting, which means they will set fruit without pollination, but does anyone know if kumquat or yuzu are self-setting?

I also have a calamondin and satsuma, and I know those are self-setting, and they also produce usually seedless fruits, which one would expect of a self-setting fruit. Kumquats and yuzu are very much not seedless, however, which makes me think they may need pollination. At the very least I know they are self-fertile, so cross-pollination will not be necessary, but I'd rather avoid the faff of having to hand pollinate altogether if I can.

I had a citrus flower last summer. It was outside and the single flower had many pollen beetles in it.
    If the weather is warm enough put it out side and let the insects sort it out.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

They'll be open in a week or so, I expect, which may be too soon for many pollinators to be about. I'm sure there'll be a few about, but not enough that I would want to rely on them.

Comment

kumquats and Yuzu are both self pollinating but you may have to give them a hand it indoors or not many insects. Use a small makeup brush to pollinate the flowers.
        Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
        Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
        Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
        Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
          kumquats and Yuzu are both self pollinating but you may have to give them a hand it indoors or not many insects. Use a small makeup brush to pollinate the flowers.
          If they require hand-pollination then they are not self-setting or self-pollination, merely self-fertile.
          I already knew they were self-fertile, but I wanted to know whether they were self-setting like many citrus are.
          I'm going to proceed under the assumption that they are not, seeing as they are not seedless (and self-setting fruit usually are), and hand-pollinate.

Comment

I have a kumquat (nagami variety) and it appears to be self-setting. I have never hand pollinated it and get plenty of fruit.

I'm not sure about yuzu.
            Last edited by TrixC; 23-03-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X