Chilean Guava

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilean Guava

Had a massive crop of berries on my chilean guava this year, had the plants in for about 4 years, when Ive tasted them before they have been ok, but this year because I have had so many they have had longer to ripen and wow they get so sweet and delicious, maybe they need a frost or 2 to really ripen? the sweet smell as you walk by the plants is almost intoxicating

I think I am going to try and do some cuttings and make a chilean guava hedge

I reckon I prefer them to blueberries

I have never tried these let alone grown them but you have now got me interested. I've just googled them and they sound good.
    I think I 'll order some for next year. I already grow blueberries and love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban View Post
      Had a massive crop of berries on my chilean guava this year, had the plants in for about 4 years, when Ive tasted them before they have been ok, but this year because I have had so many they have had longer to ripen and wow they get so sweet and delicious, maybe they need a frost or 2 to really ripen? the sweet smell as you walk by the plants is almost intoxicating

I think I am going to try and do some cuttings and make a chilean guava hedge

I reckon I prefer them to blueberries
      I took a lot of cuttings in September (semi ripe tips in pots of compost, with rooting hormone) and they rooted fine, but what seemed to do even better were cuttings I just stuck in the ground near the parent plant - they put on more new top growth, quicker. So it might be worth trying some cuttings in situ where you want the hedge.

Comment

I had a huge crop this year too! But I think the mice found them under their cover as they started to disappear - so I had to get mine sooner rather than later. They do ripen very late compared to traditional UK crops

Comment

If you get any cuttings going I would be interested.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by devonuk View Post
            I took a lot of cuttings in September (semi ripe tips in pots of compost, with rooting hormone) and they rooted fine, but what seemed to do even better were cuttings I just stuck in the ground near the parent plant - they put on more new top growth, quicker. So it might be worth trying some cuttings in situ where you want the hedge.
            Thanks, I think I'll try that

Comment

Are you able to say which varieties you are growing with such success? My two flambeau chilean guavas never settled in to my allotment bed, but I'd love to try again now I have more space. I chose flambeau because of their supposed greater hardiness.

Comment

I loved mine! I only purchased one this year, but it flowered and fruited so much. So sweet. I left a few to ripen and totally forgot about them, i also thought about doing a hedge

Comment

Miss Pea - was this a 'normal' Chilean guava, or perhaps Ka-pow?

Comment

Mine are unnamed, so I assume just the species.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X