Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with potted fruit plants - plant out or leave in pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with potted fruit plants - plant out or leave in pots?

So I bought a raspberry, cranberry and red currant plant (the raspberry and red currant are nearly still just cuttings) - I have space in my allotment for them to go straight out there but with winter looming should I leave then in their pots (two litres) or for maximum bedding in should I get them out into a plot now?

If your soil is now wet and cold I would keep them in their pots somewhere frost free so the root ball doesn't freeze, you can then plant pot grown plants anytime when the soil has warmed up a bit, you could put a cloche over the intended plot to get a head start.

Comment

Where do you live?
      Where I am, in the South, I would definitely plant them now unless the soil were too sodden.
      Further north, it may be best to hold off in case severe cold damages the roots.

Comment

Iv'e black curants ,jost berries and a black berry, that are all in pots and wev'e had a lot of rain of late do you think it would be best to put them into larger pots and keep them in the greenhouse ?
        also iv'e a greengage tree that as grown from droped fruit would this be a good time to dig it up to transplant or pot up ?
        atb Dal

Comment

Thanks all - i think I will leave them potted till early spring when the earths warmed up a bit - I'm in the Midlands so not to cold or hot here!

Comment

If they were my plants in pots I'd stick them in the ground now - the soil here is still nice and warm. Any fruit tree such as a greengage should ideally be moved as soon as the leaves have fallen off it. Three things with a large tree - dig up as big a ball of roots as you can, get it back in the ground asap ie have a hole ready to put it in, and finally stake it very well so that the wind doesn't rock it to death - better too many stakes and a live tree than too few and a dead one.

Comment

It's been very mild up here, all my dahlias are still flowering beautifully. I'm just about to plant a red currant and white currant and have no worries about it.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I have still got dahlias flowering. They were saved from a thicket of mugwort last winter.
                I now have too many so if anyone is interested there will be plenty of thinings before the spring.
                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X