blackberry bush

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackberry bush

Hi guys, I have just made a raised bed roughly 7 and a half foot by 4 foot. I have put up a post either end and strung wire across the plan is to put a thornless blackberry plant there. The problem i got is should i plant it at the middle of the two posts? or to one side and let it grow about 5-6ft tall and train it all along from the one side, My thinking is , is if i plant in the middle to fan out both sides then its only going to be about 3ft long whereas if i grow from one side it will grow 6ft long. any advice?

Welcome to the vine, have a read of this, should give you a good idea where to start
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...t/blackberries

Comment

Actually, if you plant it in the middle and arc the stems you would have room for almost 5ft of stem length, as the distance along the arc is a fair bit longer than the straight line distance.

Whether that will be enough depends on your variety of blackberry. Some grow longer than others. And bear in mind that you're better off not using the full length of the stem, anyway. Anything thinner than 5mm won't fruit well, so you are better off cutting off the ends of all of the stems back to the point where it is 5mm thick.

Comment

I would plant to against the post on the left side,let it grow & train it on the right. My blackberry apache is thornless & would enjoy that situation.

Comment

thx for the advice guys, thats a good point you made about the arc, the plant i have ordered is Loch Ness. I will be growing it in the front garden which is SSE facing and the sun is on it all day. looks like I am stuck for choice atm

Comment

here is the bed with posts and wire attached
            Last edited by brrttpaul; 11-10-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X