Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please new raspberry canes

Good morning all
    I took over a ramshackle allotment plot and have spent this year sorting it Have built a fruit cage around the existing raspberry bushes but they have been underwhelming in terms of both looks and fruit production. I have removed many that were beyond saving. I need about a dozen fruit canes to plant in ground which has been well manured for the summer. I know the ground is good as the separate cage with redcurrant bushes is very productive
    Can you please recommend a nice summer production cane Would you recommend all the same variety or a mixture
    Any recommendations of suitable suppliers would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your help

Paul

I have been using Pomona for my fruit plants, no problems so far, Glen Ample is one of the more "usual" ones along with any of the "Malling" ones, Juno sounds like a good one to try, remember you can't plant new plants in the same ground that has previously had them.

Comment

Many thanks for the response. I have removed some old canes that were well past their best Are you saying I cant plant in the same location As it is in a cage what can be done please to use the same ground ? Many thanks Paul

Comment

You can replant, but you shouldn't, especially if the old canes were flagging. Soil pathogens can build up which can stunt or even kill the new canes.

Personally, I'd recommend just moving the cage to whichever bed you decide to plant your new raspberries in, then dig over the old one, dig out all of the raspberry roots, and convert it back into a veg bed to replace the one which became your new raspberry bed.

Comment

I agree with all the above, although if your fruit cage is permanent you might try replacing the soil where the new canes are actually planted.

I would thoroughly recommend Glen Ample, which fruits well, has gorgeous tasting large fruit and has the massive advantage that the canes are thornless. If you want fruit next year I can recommend buying long cane plants which have about 4ft of last year's wood: https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...ple_231339.htm I planted these in March 2018 and they gave me a good crop that year and increasingly large crops in the 2 years since. You can of course plant them earlier than March if your ground is ready.
          Last edited by Penellype; 08-10-2020, 07:34 AM.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            I agree with all the above, although if your fruit cage is permanent you might try replacing the soil where the new canes are actually planted.

I would thoroughly recommend Glen Ample, which fruits well, has gorgeous tasting large fruit and has the massive advantage that the canes are thornless. If you want fruit next year I can recommend buying long cane plants which have about 4ft of last year's wood: https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...ple_231339.htm I planted these in March 2018 and they gave me a good crop that year and increasingly large crops in the 2 years since. You can of course plant them earlier than March if your ground is ready.
            How much soil would you need to remove to be able to replant in an existing location?

Comment

Originally posted by littlemoney View Post
              How much soil would you need to remove to be able to replant in an existing location?
              Ideally, all of it to a depth of about 12 inches (raspberries thankfully aren't too deep-rooted, so 12 inches should be fine).
              Honestly, it really would be easier just to move the fruit cage. Replacing enough soil to fill a raspberry bed is several days work.

Comment

I agree with Ameno it would be a lot of work to replace the soil if you are growing a lot of fruit. What I did with mine, because my plot is prone to flooding, was build a ridge and plant the raspberries on that. There were some very poorly looking raspberries at the plot when I got it, and one end of the new row overlaps where they were, but I have not noticed any difference in the plants at that end of the row.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X