No announcement yet.

Best raspberry cane variety

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joan J! I've even eaten them frozen on the cane in November... very tasty!

Comment

This post just in time for me. My autumn raspberries bought four years ago from T&M are showing mottled leaves last three years and I think they have a virus. They are still producing really well, however I think I should plant more in another area in anticipation of a fall off in yield. I will go with Joan C after reading this post. Does anyone have a recommendation for yellow raspberries? I think its between Fallgold and Autumn gold? Is there much difference? Also are there any disease resistant Autumn raspberries as I am a bit disappointed that mine have succumbed so quickly. I think they were infected from the start actually.

Comment

James Martin (the Chef) said he grows Glenn Ample, a summer fruiting variety on his Saturday morning TV show.
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Had an amazing crop of rasps this year. Best year so far and still going. They have been in about 4 years and the original 6 bare roots have expanded and spread as you can imagine with rasps ! They are in a raised bed thankfully although they do try to escape. Was wondering whether I should move a couple of them into another bed - would that be feasible? Imaging the roots are all pretty meshed together. Assume it would be best to do that after I cut them down to the ground after they have finished fruiting?

Comment

I find that you can just yank a cane out and plant it in a new bed with most of the top trimmed back.
            Fruit comes on new canes in the second year for summer fruiting varieties.
            I have just put in some late fruiting ones so will have to report back next year. They came from a mate who is moving to another plot.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I planted a bed of Polka in May, and we've been disappointed with them. Taste of very little. OH loves raspberries, and these were for him really. They can only get better. We've had inches of rain over the past couple of months, so with luck that's the reason.

I can only hope for improvement.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

My personal favourite is Valentina followed by Glen Goe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X