Moving Blueberry

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Blueberry

I’m ‘donating’ several blueberry bushes to a friend who is going to plant in her garden, as they really do not like the allotment and just don’t do anything!

when is the best time to move them please? 2 are about 3 years old, the other 2 planted earlier this year.

That's a kind offer Dot!

I'd wait until Autumn tbh.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They like ericateous compost/soil. You probably have neutrol or alchaline Ph soil on the allotment and it needs to be acidic. You can grow them in pots or amend the soil with a dilute vinegar (2 tablespoons to the gallon), and using pine needle mulch. There are commercial fertilisers avialable. Pots are best as this contains and controls the PH.

Like Nicos, I'd say autumn/winter when the leaves have finished photosynthesising and the wood sap has gone to the roots.

Also 3 year old Blueberries might only just be coming into fruiting.

Comment

Definitely transplant them during there winter rest period.
        I use ericateous compost and mulch with rosemary clippings instead of pine and get good results.
        They die if you plant them in our lime scale soil.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I did not know you could use rosemary clippings.

Comment

The ground just looked acidic under a mature plant so when a large one needed moving I took a cutting and pulled the old one up and shredded it and put the result on my blueberry bed. They loved it. The same bed had a couple of inches of sycamore chips on it. The blue berries did all right but the rosemary was better by quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
              The ground just looked acidic under a mature plant so when a large one needed moving I took a cutting and pulled the old one up and shredded it and put the result on my blueberry bed. They loved it. The same bed had a couple of inches of sycamore chips on it. The blue berries did all right but the rosemary was better by quite a bit.
              How does ground look acidic?

Comment

Lime loving weeds look week in the leaf litter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X