Growing from fruit stones and pips ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing from fruit stones and pips ?

I'd like to see if any of the fruit stones and pips I waste could grow , I regularly have apricots, peaches, cherries, ect . I have read you need to refrigerate them for months but I don't have a fridge as I live off grid, is there another way ?

My gran successfully grew several peach and nectarine trees in her garden from stones. I think the main thing needed is patience!
    I haven't heard that they need to go in the freezer, just let them dry out for several weeks, before planting in a pot.

Comment

Peaches and nectarines are the only tree fruit worth growing from seed.
      Most fruit trees don't come true from seed (the variety you get will usually be quite different, and often inferior, to the fruit it grew from), take ages to start bearing fruit, and will eventually grow into very large trees.
      Peaches and nectarines, though, apparently usually come fairly true from seed, start fruiting at a relatively small size, and can even start fruiting fairly quickly. In warmer climates than ours, they can even bear fruit in their second year, although obviously here it would take longer than that, and since it's so damp here we also have a lot of peach leaf curl to contend with.

Most tree fruit seeds do need a period of chilling to make them germinate.You don't necessarily need a fridge, though. Another option is just to sow them outside and leave them over winter. They should germinate the following spring. I certainly get plenty of cherry seedlings coming up every spring beneath my cherry tree.
      If you do have access to a fridge, you best bet is to crack the stone open carefully with nut crackers and extract the kernel, then put it in a plastic bag with damp compost and put it in the fridge for 2 months. They may already be sprouting by that point, but if not they should grow shortly after being potted up and moved somewhere warm.
      Since you don't have a fridge, it's probably better to leave them in their shell, as it will protect them from rot or being eaten over winter. Pot them up, leave them outside, and some of them should germinate next spring.

Comment

Good to see you again!
        my daughter lived completely off grid for 5 years ( but ended up buying a small fridge box which ran off solar power.)

Having said that, she had plenty of friends , family and work collègues who I'm sure would have happily tucked away a packet of stones/pips in their fridges ( just a thought?)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X