Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gooseberries

Hi Peeps.....
    I have 4 gooseberry bushes 2 red 2 green.
    I have had trouble over the years keeping on top of them and had problems with Mildew and sawfly this year.
    A fellow plot holder has Gooseberries as Cordons and look a lot easier to maintain.
    Can I prune my bushes into a cordon shape of are they a special rootstock or need to be trained from the start.
    If I can how do i start.
    If not can I start again from cuttings from the bushes and train from start with the cuttings.

Cheers guys
    Looking forward to the replies.
    Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

You have it right at the end "start again from cuttings from the bushes and train from start" no rootstocks needed - take cuttings when the leaves are off in the Autumn - these will take about a year to root in a damp patch of ground.

One other thing, mildew is a disease of gooseberries to which some varieties are very susceptible, so you may also want to buy one or two new modern varieties which will be mildew resistant.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
      cheers
      Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

You're very welcome - Happy gardening :-)

PS one of the best money saving parts of soft fruit growing is that yon can start with one plant and propagate 40 or 50 more from it quite quickly - thay make good presents for other gardeners.

Comment

I took cutting from a gooseberry pant about a month ago. It had started to spread and put out what looked a bit like runners so with advice from on here I cut them and stuck them in a pot. I now have another 4 wee goosberry plants growing in individual pots.

Comment

I would just cadge some pruneings from someone local from bushes that don't get mildew.
            Last edited by Plot70; 17-06-2020, 12:43 AM.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X