Yellowing leaves on melons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing leaves on melons

Me again with more questions I’ve grown some melons from seed. One Emir plant is flying along with plenty of flowers , 2 Retato Ortolani doing OK but 2 other emir plants and 1 Retato have very yellow leaves (All in one very large raised bed in the tunnel well-spaced out)
    I’ve a second slightly smaller bed in the tunnel with 4 younger Minnesota Midget plants and the lower leaves are yellowing also. A spin around google tells me that it could be too much water (but some sites also say they need 1-2 inches per week)
    ​​​​​​​or nitrogen deficiency ... any ideas ??? Thanks in advance

Sorry I can't help much SineadT - hopefully some more knoweldgeable Grapes will have some advice on this one. I did have a quick Google myself, and additionally it said that it could be mites - is there any sign of those around?

If the rest of the plant looks healthy, I'd be templted to maybe give it bit of a feed anyway as melons, like tomato plants and squash, are quite nutrient hungry. Otherwise, is it possible that they are getting hotter than the other healthier plants and are just suffering a bit more?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Shortie Thanks so much... no mites that I can see - might chance a little feed as I’m thinking it’s not heat as the plants are in the same area but I might move the temperature gauge about to see if I can spit anything ... I tried melons last year but I was too late and didn’t manage to pollinate any female flowers so I’m trying to do better this year - I’ve a couple of female flowers on the strongest Emir plant so fingers crossed

Comment

I tried Emir for my first ever melons last year. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the allotment often enough water them as much as they needed but was still really impressed that they gave me some fruits - it'd be lovely to see any photos if you get fruits this year?
        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I’m back again with an update and another melon query. Firstly, I ended up pulling out the yellowing melon plants and discovered that their roots were rotten - I’m suspecting overwatering the tiny baby plants.
          Now for my question ... one of my emir plants is absolutely flying and producing lots of flowers both male and female.
          However, today I spotted this black/dark brown spotting (see images) on some leaves. Thought they were flies/aphids of some kind but it’s actually in the the leaves .any suggestions ? Thanks as always !
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X