Fruit and blossom on tree?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit and blossom on tree?

So my Coxs Orange Pippin apple tree has both fruit and blossom on it! Surely that cant be normal? Is there anything I should do with it, or just let it get on with it?

I've had this from time to time. My Sunset currently has a single cluster of flower buds, and my Czar plum had one cluster of flowers in June last year.
    As long as it's just the odd flower, I don't think it's anything to really worry about. The fruits will be very unlikely to ripen, though, so you'd be better off removing them.

Comment

I was trimming back my espalliered apple trees today and noticed there were some tiny blossoms ready to open. Interestingly they were on the tips of the growing branches and not along the stem as they usually are.

Oh, and yes, I pruned them back.
      Last edited by Nicos; 03-06-2020, 09:29 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have found flowers and fruit on a feral apple tree just outside the boundary of our allotment site in September while harvesting the fruit foe cooking. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848E.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	2498245
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Im glad its not just me then! The tree itself doesnt have much fruit on it, it appears a lot of the blossom got hit by that late frost we had, might just leave it and see what they do. Would be nice to get a solitary apple off it though.

Comment

My back garden apple tree has got a solitary apple on it.
            It dropped the rest of the crop after being badly damaged by that Spanish hurricane we had before the trees were in leaf.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

This afternoon I was thinning apples on a Laxton. I noticed some blossom which I thought was rather odd. Nice to know this has happended to others before even though I have never seen it. Still got a lot more apples to remove so there may be even more blossom. The tree is laden with apples, many more than I will be able to use in the short season it keeps. More work, just what I didn't need as the tree is massive, being over 70 years old.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X