Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do with raspberry canes

Hello all
    I have summer fruiting (supposedly) raspberry canes and this is their second year. They hardly grew last year, which I sort of expected. This year lots of new growth and it's strong and green but they don't seem to be growing tall. What should I do? I think the variety is Glen Ample.

It's only May. Summer raspberries fruit on the previous year's growth, so it has all summer to grow tall, and they will then fruit next year.

Comment

This years growth will be next years fruiting stems.
      "Problem" of summer ones is that next year you have what is/was this years growth for the fuit and next years growth that will be the years after.
      After fruit you need the prune out the fruited canes but not the ones that will be the years after.

Gets plain complicated.
      I suspect that is why many grow Autumn ones.
      They you get growth, it fruits and at the end of the year you cut it back.
      All in one year and no having to work out new and old canes.
      Last edited by Kirk; 31-05-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Ive got Glen Ample and i dont think they do grow very tall, mine probably reach waist height at the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
          This years growth will be next years fruiting stems.
          "Problem" of summer ones is that next year you have what is/was this years growth for the fuit and next years growth that will be the years after.
          After fruit you need the prune out the fruited canes but not the ones that will be the years after.

Gets plain complicated.
          I suspect that is why many grow Autumn ones.
          They you get growth, it fruits and at the end of the year you cut it back.
          All in one year and no having to work out new and old canes.
          It's really not complicated at all, though?
          New canes are green and are always just a single straight stem. Old canes are brown and have side branches.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X