grapes - where to prune

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grapes - where to prune

I have two visible grape clusters. Where do I prune the particular side branch they are on? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200525_164157.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	2497107
    Attached Files

This is the way I do it, snap of the stem two leaves beyond the bunch and then remove any side shoots that develop as you do with tomatoes. Any branches that are not bearing fruit or weak branches I snap of at one leaf to improve the air circulation. Then keep on reducing the side shoots through out the growing season. The important thing is to snap of the growth and not cut it. If the stems won’t snap then leave them. Cutting could cause the Vine to bleed sap.

Hope this helps.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
      Cutting could cause the Vine to bleed sap..
      I've never found this to be the case. I always cut mine, and it never bleeds.
      Grapes bleed when the sap is rising, between about mid-January and mid-May, but after that the green shoots won't bleed (although woody growth may still bleed until leaf fall).

Comment

What about pruning for next year. The vine extends over 20 feet in the tunnel yet I only have two prape clusters. Will more form later in the year?

How do I improve things for next year?

Comment

The Vine must be pruned when it is dormant in winter. I cut all the branches back to the main rod it does seem to encourage the production of grapes. If you don’t want 20 feet of rod then it can be reduced at the same time as you prune. You won’t get anymore clusters of grapes this year. The Vine usually only flowers once, if it does flower for a second time, mine did last year, the grapes will not have long enough to form and ripen this season.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Do not cut back bearing branches, this was advice from long ago. The principle is that the leaves above the bunches are the powerhouse providing for the grapes. Outdoors it is said that between twelve and fifteen leaves are required above the bunch to ripen grapes. As far as side shoots are concerned pinch out the tip leaving one leaf.
            hope this helps.

Delta

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X