Planting raspberries now

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting raspberries now

On my daily walk I’ve just seen some raspberry canes with a free to a good home sign, so I took 3. I was going to plant them in pots for the time being. The info I found online said to plant in Dec/Jan/Feb.

have you any advice for planting at this time of year?

Bung them in, give them a good mulch, keep them religiously watered, and hope for the best. If they are bare root, give them a good soak in a bucket of water for about an hour before planting.
    I planted 10 bare root raspberry canes around mid-May last year. 6 took well, 4 died (or rather, they never even started growing in the first place).
    Last edited by ameno; 27-05-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Great thank you!! Got them in a bucket soaking and will plant this afternoon and hope for the best

Comment

Agreed-keep well watered and mulch.
        They have very shallow roots and are prone to dry out whilst trying to establish a decent root system at this time of the year.

Well done on getting some freebies!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thank you!! I’m have one of the 3 to my neighbour and she said she’s going to cut hers back (they are about 2 foot long with leaves atm), do you see any benefit in doing this?

Comment

They're meant to be in leaf at the moment, so I would leave them as-is. Maybe cut off the top-most couple inches, as it's very soft and prone to water-loss, but certainly keep the rest.

Comment

I thought I'd give an update on these. I kept my two, left as they were, they took root and we even got about 2 punnets worth of raspberries from them, they were perfect at the time for a weaning baby.

Currently have plenty of buds on them so we're hopeful for a good year from them this year

Comment

They will probably benefit from a feed of fertiliser , did you leave them in pots, if so have you got larger pots, they could be re potted with some new compost.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  They will probably benefit from a feed of fertiliser , did you leave them in pots, if so have you got larger pots, they could be re potted with some new compost.
                  They're still in the pot I put them both in last year which is about 18" diameter x 12" depth. I might split them into their own pots for this year and put them next to each other.

Planning to buy our own place in October so they can hopefully have forever homes next year.

Comment

Yearly update on the out of season planted Raspberries. Still doing well in the pot I planted them in during lockdown. I counted 70 fledgling berries on them yesterday. We have moved into our home now, but will probably leave until early next year before repotting / moving to ground

Comment

I found some canes growing through a stand of stinging nettles on an old railway that is now a footpath. They had nice fruit. Not all self seeded plants have good fruit but I had been keeping an eye on these ones.
                      I just yanked a couple of canes out and cut them back to a foot high. They produced a few berries the following year and have plenty of summer fruit coming now. They are obviously an old tall cane variety.
                      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X