No announcement yet.

Melon flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked today and I have three more melons swelling, all on Collective Farm Woman plants.
    Still nothing from the Banana melons.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

It's not very late yet. In warm climates, melons take around 30 days from pollination to ripening. Even in this country, they should be ripe within about 50, possibly less if yours are in a greenhouse or polytunnel.
      Goodness, 30 days, is that all, I thought it would be months! Oh that would be so good.
      They're in a greenhouse so fingers crossed I might get one after all!
      Last edited by peanut; 02-08-2020, 10:02 AM.
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Finally have some fruit set on my banana melons. I found two sausage-sized fruit today hiding in amongst the leaves.

Comment

Look what I've got! My first ever Melon.
          Attached Files

Comment

You're growing Emir, right?
            Since that's a netted skin variety, be sure to water regularly. The skin of the fruit of netted melons naturally cracks when nearly ripe, then those cracks callous over and that's how you get the netting. But if it is watered erratically it can just split open instead developing lots of tiny cracks, and then the fruit will just rot.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
              You're growing Emir, right?
              Since that's a netted skin variety, be sure to water regularly. The skin of the fruit of netted melons naturally cracks when nearly ripe, then those cracks callous over and that's how you get the netting. But if it is watered erratically it can just split open instead developing lots of tiny cracks, and then the fruit will just rot.
              Thanks Ameno, yes Emir. Should I keep the compost damp to the touch?

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post

Thanks Ameno, yes Emir. Should I keep the compost damp to the touch?
                Try to, yeah. As long as the compost is reasonably well drained you are unlikely to waterlog them, as any excess can just drain out the bottom of the pot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X