Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ameno
    replied
    Finally have some fruit set on my banana melons. I found two sausage-sized fruit today hiding in amongst the leaves.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post

It's not very late yet. In warm climates, melons take around 30 days from pollination to ripening. Even in this country, they should be ripe within about 50, possibly less if yours are in a greenhouse or polytunnel.
    Goodness, 30 days, is that all, I thought it would be months! Oh that would be so good.
    They're in a greenhouse so fingers crossed I might get one after all!
    Last edited by peanut; 02-08-2020, 10:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Checked today and I have three more melons swelling, all on Collective Farm Woman plants.
    Still nothing from the Banana melons.

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    I have one as well
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000828 (2).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2505495

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by peanut View Post
    Look what I've got! I realise I am unlikely to get an edible melon given it's so late in the season, but I am chuffed to bits that I got this far!
    It's not very late yet. In warm climates, melons take around 30 days from pollination to ripening. Even in this country, they should be ripe within about 50, possibly less if yours are in a greenhouse or polytunnel.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Look what I've got! I realise I am unlikely to get an edible melon given it's so late in the season, but I am chuffed to bits that I got this far!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Harvested three Collective Farm Woman melons today. Two are still half green, but they have detached themselves from the plant, so they must be ripe.

Still no fruit at all on the banana melons or the watermelons, though...

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    I have fruits starting to swell

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    My melon plants are just sat sitting there doiñg absolutely nothing

They are outside, so maybe it's just too cold for them -they are certainly being well fed and watered though so that's not the problem.
    I'll give them a couple more weeks then hoik them out and plant some leeks - yes...you.....are ya listening????? You've got 2weeks!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Still not managed to pollinate any banana melon flowers, despite them bearing dozens of females and hundreds of males between the four plants. Getting a bit fedup with trying to pollinate them.

I have noticed that one of the plants is bearing hermaphroditic (both male and female parts) flowers, though, which is odd.I looked it up, and apparently it happens sometimes, but it's not common as it's caused by a double recessive gene.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Oh no not another one.

I found another female flower today, tried to pollinate with a new male, but it didn't seem to have any pollen on it. I think I'm going to let nature take its course and hope that some of the hoverflies that are filling the greenhouse do the job for me.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Another of my melons got tunnelled by slugs...

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post

You can pick the male flowers as soon as they are open then keep them in the fridge. I did that with squash flowers last year. They should last at least 12 hours, and would probably still be good after 24.

Oh that's very useful to know thank you Ameno. I'd be so thrilled if I manage to get just one melon!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by peanut View Post
    I think I must have a lazy female, she didn't open till about 11am (I kept checking!) The males, meanwhile were already open. This is going to be trickier than I hoped!
    You can pick the male flowers as soon as they are open then keep them in the fridge. I did that with squash flowers last year. They should last at least 12 hours, and would probably still be good after 24.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    I think I must have a lazy female, she didn't open till about 11am (I kept checking!) The males, meanwhile were already open. This is going to be trickier than I hoped!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X