Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are some canes not growing?

Dear vine,

I have 2 rows of autumn raspberries: 1 of polka, the other Joan j.

The polka and most Joan j grow fine. However, I have a spot in the row of Joan j where the original cane I planted did not grow. I put a new one in this year and it did not grow, and some others round about are growing poorly and seem yellow.

I will try to attach photo. There were no raspberries in this area before I planted them 2 years ago, but in fairness there may have been some at some point in the past before I moved in.

Any suggestions what could be wrong and what to do? Will the rest of my raspberries gradually all get affected? Should i move to a new spot or will that bring problem with them? Should I grub it all out and start again somewhere else? Just keep trying on same spot? Anything to add to soil?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

1st photo hopefully..

Hoping that my photo will attach here..
    Attached Files

Comment

Is there anything in the ground under those canes - like a rock/slab or an animal run?

Comment

Thanks vc. Nothing on or near he surface. Best to dig down and find what’s under there?

Comment

Is it possible the compost is different in that spot? Is the ground there particularly wet? Are the roots healthy? I would carefully investigate the roots of the most affected one. In case it is a disease in the soil at that particular spot, caused by a shrub now removed may be, I'd move a couple of plants from the end of the row elsewhere or in a container while you investigate.
          Do any of your neighbours know much of the history of your garden? Is there a local horticultural college near you that could advise?
          The only problem I've had with raspberries was virus when the leaves and some of the berries were mottled.

Comment

Are the rows near a boundary? I had a section where raspberries didn't do well, and I think one of the causes was neighbours glyphosating suckers that popped up on their side of the fence.
            Last edited by chrisdb; 15-09-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks mark and Chris.
              Think compost the same. Bit of the garden no neighbours see and nowhere near a boundary. Will maybe pull one up to examine. Will this help me to work out the problem?

Comment

Are your canes throwing up any runners yet ?, perhaps pull up the affected ones and replace the compost and canes with runners from some of the strong canes.

Comment

I would be looking for signs that new canes buds are being developed and the roots seem healthy. As well as looking if there is any animal tunnelling or anything else there. If the roots seem quite healthy, could it be a mineral deficiency.
                  If a fungus was attacking your plants there I think it should be obvious as the roots would likely be quite sparse and bits breaking off easily.
                  Could a local cat, dog, fox or other animal be using the spot regularly?

Comment

I went to have a look at my raspberries today to check what they looked like (I've been picking them but just looking for the fruit). My Joan J are looking a bit miserable with some yellow leaves which is a shame as they are far tastier than the other variety I have which has a spiny stem. If the roots look ok it might just be Autumn approaching. The main thing to rule out is any fungus infection. I'll probably did out the other variety (probably Autumn Bliss) anyway and increase the Joan J.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X