Strawberries never really took off

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries never really took off

I bought some plant plugs from Homebase: Honeoye, Cambridge, and Elsanta. The Honeoye did better with some flower buds developing into strawberries. The other flower buds turned brown and hard. Cambridge and Elsanta just didn't seem to want to grow any flowers.

Any thoughts?

Looks like the fruits shrivelled and died - did you give them plenty of water?

Comment

My young strawberry plants (runners from my old plants) looked awful and did nothing this Spring. My husband nearly composted them so many times. I'm so glad we didn't . In the last week they have suddenly gone mad ( and we've got lots of strawberries). I'd cut all the dead bits off them and let them try again next year......but I'm a softly. It depends really if you have the space.

Comment

First year is often poor for fruits with strawbs, give them a feed in the spring and hopefully you should be ok, they like potash or a more general one like blood, fish and bone.

Comment

I agree with the rest - first year tends to either be when the strawbs hunker down and get themselves established, or they send out loads of runners presumably because they're a bit stressed and worried they're going to perish.

Give them time and give them food and water
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

As the others say, cut off the dead ones, make sure they get plenty of water, fertilise in the spring. If the throw out runners, I’d keep some but get rid of the rest of the runners to give the plant a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Looks like the fruits shrivelled and died - did you give them plenty of water?
              I tried to do as much. Didn't get a chance to feed as much as I normally would. I'd hoped the recent British weather would have helped with watering.

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
              My young strawberry plants (runners from my old plants) looked awful and did nothing this Spring. My husband nearly composted them so many times. I'm so glad we didn't . In the last week they have suddenly gone mad ( and we've got lots of strawberries). I'd cut all the dead bits off them and let them try again next year......but I'm a softly. It depends really if you have the space.
              I leave for a bit and see what happens.

Originally posted by burnie View Post
              First year is often poor for fruits with strawbs, give them a feed in the spring and hopefully you should be ok, they like potash or a more general one like blood, fish and bone.
              I've been using tomorite from the the moment the flowers appear.

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              Give them time and give them food and water
              Will do.

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
              If the throw out runners, I’d keep some but get rid of the rest of the runners to give the plant a chance.
              There are quite a few runners escaping the pots. I'll lop them off.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                I tried to do as much. Didn't get a chance to feed as much as I normally would. I'd hoped the recent British weather would have helped with watering.
                They seem to be in a small planter. Water is needed all the time for plants to grow and fruit to form. We've had hot dry spells this year when plants in pots needed more attention. You can't wait for rainfall.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  They seem to be in a small planter.
                  Some are in this one: https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1657950

The others are in larger plastic planters. I'll look into irrigation pipes or similar which make it easier for watering when I can't be there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X