Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Give it away, Trix or you'll be forever worrying about whether your young helper will be prickled.
    Then buy another one with your refund.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenowhere
    replied
    Or a fellow grape who would happily take it off your hands

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Originally posted by TrixC View Post
    but not sure I can bring myself to let the existing one go (I feel sorry for unwanted plants, it’s a weakness ��)
    Just remember why you wanted a thornless one
    I really don’t want a thorny plant as I have a young child who will be ‘helping’ with the harvest
    Have you family/friend/neighbour who would appreciate it?

Leave a comment:

• DannyK
    replied
    Originally posted by TrixC View Post
    This has left me with a bit of a dilemma about what to do with the plant as I really wanted the thornless one but not sure I can bring myself to let the existing one go (I feel sorry for unwanted plants, it’s a weakness ��)
    I'd keep it. It's not really thorny like some brambles and from experience it's a prolific fruiter and the fruit is very good. Cheap welding gauntlets will cope with the thorns.

Leave a comment:

• TrixC
    replied
    To their credit the nursery have agreed to refund my money, after I sent them links to the RHS description of this variety indicating it’s supposed to be completely thornless. This has left me with a bit of a dilemma about what to do with the plant as I really wanted the thornless one but not sure I can bring myself to let the existing one go (I feel sorry for unwanted plants, it’s a weakness ��)

Leave a comment:

• TrixC
    replied
    From a quick web search I found a reference to there being a thorny variety called Buckingham as well as a thornless, if true seems unnecessarily confusing It also appears that virtually all nurseries are selling the thornless variety, apart from Ashridge who I bought from. I’ve contacted them to seek clarity and will see what they say. I really don’t want a thorny plant as I have a young child who will be ‘helping’ with the harvest.

Leave a comment:

• Muddy_Boots
    replied
    Got 2 that grew vigorously last year and produced alot of fruit, very sweet as well. They are thornless and produce alot of branches which each have alot of fruit on.

Leave a comment:

• Vince G
    replied
    I've got a Buckingham. After a couple of years of trying I think I've finally eradicated it from my fruit cage, it spread everywhere. I now have 2 plants in a large container.

Nice sweet fragrant flavour if you pick them when at peak ripeness, which I found difficult to judge.

Mine seemed to get spinier as it aged.

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Buckingham is usually thornless, mine is.
    I got mine from Blackmoor and they say
    The most exciting new hybrid berry for many years. A tayberry without spines. Identical in every respect to the original tayberry, except the canes are smooth.

Leave a comment:

• sparrow100
    replied
    I have a thornless one - though it also tastes pretty soapy, compared to my ferociously prickly versions. I am betting that's due to my care rather than the variety's flavour... I think mine is Buckingham too, I got it from Victoriana Nurseries.

Leave a comment:

• TrixC
    started a topic Tayberry Buckingham

Tayberry Buckingham

Is anyone growing the Buckingham Tayberry? I just took delivery of one and was surprised that the plant I’ve received is quite spiny; I was under the impression that this variety was completely thornless? I’ve just re-read the description on the nursery’s website and they describe it as “less ferociously spined” than other tayberries which does tend to imply partial thorniness... I was expecting something more like a thornless blackberry.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X