No announcement yet.

Fruit tree blossom 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the nectarines that grew from a stone chucked in the compost has had a flower. just the one, but it's a start. This is its fifth year from a stone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nec flower resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	2382734
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Apricot Petit Muscate about six years old. Not seen a lot of fruit yet .
      Will try covering some with net curtains which a vine suggested.https://www.flickr.com/photos/103667.../shares/17yz6Q
      Last edited by DannyK; 21-03-2019, 04:52 PM.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Victoria Plum, always flowers, doesn't always get pollinated.
        The other 2 plums are on the way.Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0003.jpg
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2382762
        Feed the soil, not the plants.
        (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
        Bob

Comment

My mirabelle came into flower some time in the past 2weeks whilst we were away.
          Two of our plum trees are just about to flower....
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Here in Durham my pear (Concorde) has big buds just beginning to burst. Only planted it a year ago so it'll be its first few flowers.

Apples are still budded up, but it looks like the self fertile Cox which I gave a hefty pruning last year is going to end it's sulking and flower this year, and the bountiful. Cherry looks promising too.

Comment

Spectacular year for blossom here - never seen so many flowers on the plum trees - probably down to the hot summer last year. Pear almost out and the apple not too far behind - even I might be moved to take a few photos when the apple blossom is out, if the weather is good then.

Comment

A couple of plums have got some fully opened blossom, the wild cherry has one lower branch just opening.
                The frost got the mirabelle

Comment

Sorry to hear about the frost, they can be a bugger at this time of year. Been lucky here so far this Spring down to -2 or so, but fortunately not low enough to do any damage. And one of the benefits of being up on a hill is it has to get pretty chilly in a radiation frost to cause problems with the tree blossom.

Comment

Asian Pear Nihiseki covered in blooms

Click image for larger version

Name:	nihiseki.jpg
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	2382870
                    Death to all slugs!

Comment

Been quite jealous seeing this thread as no blossom here bar nectarine but looking at weeks weather forecast here, it may be a blessing

Comment

Early flower blossom is a classic hostage to fortune - much better to have late blossom on most tree fruit, when the risk of frost is much less.

Comment

First plum blossom opened today (in Durham).
                          Trouble is, I've only seen one bumblebee out this year. The other problem with early blossom - is there anything awake to pollinate it?

It's an opal plum - planted last year, so probably 3 years old. Gardenfocused suggests in Durham it should be flowering last week in April, so looks like we're 3 weeks early (although the garden is perhaps a bit sheltered by houses/trees to east and west and a shed 6' away on the north side, but even so its early).

The cherries (carmine jewel and sunburst) aren't flowering yet, but I can see petal colour on the buds of carmine jewel and the Mirabelle de nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post

First plum blossom opened today (in Durham).
                            Trouble is, I've only seen one bumblebee out this year. The other problem with early blossom - is there anything awake to pollinate it?

It's an opal plum - planted last year, so probably 3 years old. Gardenfocused suggests in Durham it should be flowering last week in April, so looks like we're 3 weeks early (although the garden is perhaps a bit sheltered by houses/trees to east and west and a shed 6' away on the north side, but even so its early).

The cherries (carmine jewel and sunburst) aren't flowering yet, but I can see petal colour on the buds of carmine jewel and the Mirabelle de nancy.
                            As long as the weather is warm enough then pollination shouldn't be a problem - the main risk is frost of course - the fruit is most vulnerable when the flowers are fully open, after the petals fall its a bit less tender.

Comment

Nip and tuck with the frost here last night, as the plum blossom is fully out - down to about -2, so fingers-crossed no substantial damage.

Comment

All 4 plum trees now in full flower.
                                The wild cherry in my garden is opening up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X