X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcdood
    replied
    I don't know how old the Globo are Burnie as I inherited them from an allotment neighbour. I do know they've been open at least 2 years and that the germination rate I had last year was about 1-2 in 10 hence the pessimism for this year.
    No worries though I still have more Bedfords I could sow and I also have Alisa Craig and Red Brunswick I'm planning to sow beginning of Feb.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I find onion seeds usually keep quite well, having said that my 2 year old seed hasn't sprouted yet!!

Leave a comment:

• mcdood
    replied
    I've got 15 Bedfordshire Champion out of 30 coming through. No Globo yet although old seed so I didnt really expect much.

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Originally posted by JustPotteringAbout View Post
    What are the best varieties for storage? It's just me so I don't get through them quickly.
    I'm up north where it's very wet and I have a heavy soil despite addition of leaf mould, so there's that to factor in.
    I have a heated propagation bed. Never any freezer space.
    Are you growing from seed or from sets? From sets, sturon are good croppers and good keepers. From seed, tasco and toughball also are good croppers and keepers.

If dried properly and then kept in a frost free well ventilated area, your onions should keep through at least until the end of February and possibly even later. No need for freezers!!

If you like a red onion, Red Baron takes a bit of beating but don't be tempted to grow them from sets. They are the world's worst for bolting.
    Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 06-01-2020, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I now only grow from seed and grow larger varieties, this year Mammoth Red from Robinsons, not as large as their whites, but we like the taste. We slice and dice the onions and then either bag them or put them in old ice cream tubs and freeze them, easy way to do it.

Leave a comment:

• JustPotteringAbout
    replied
    What are the best varieties for storage? It's just me so I don't get through them quickly.
    I'm up north where it's very wet and I have a heavy soil despite addition of leaf mould, so there's that to factor in.
    I have a heated propagation bed. Never any freezer space.
    Last edited by JustPotteringAbout; 06-01-2020, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    I've sown Ailsae and Kelsae for the big uns, Tasco and Toughball for the under 250 gm class and Red Baron for a red un. The Tasco is showing already

Burnie, Pot leeks on the Onion from seed thread?
    Sorry AP, duly slapped maself on the wrist lol

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    I've sown Ailsae and Kelsae for the big uns, Tasco and Toughball for the under 250 gm class and Red Baron for a red un. The Tasco is showing already

Burnie, Pot leeks on the Onion from seed thread?

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    First Pot Leek loop is showing, that's quick!!

Leave a comment:

• mcdood
    replied
    Just sowed around 25 globo (old seed so see if I get anything) and around 30 Bedfordshire Champions. Start of the growing season, happy days

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    My wife has put an order in for more pot leeks, her favourites

Leave a comment:

• MarkHackwell
    replied
    Originally posted by burnie View Post
    I don't try to store big onions, they are sliced and or diced and frozen in bags/containers, we are using ours now for dinner.
    I have just planted mine, Mammoth Reds and Mammoth Pot Leeks from Robinsons, planted in modules in general purpose compost, not seed compost, that way I don't disturb the plants at the loop stage, but leave them where they are with food available. They will go into larger pots without disturbing the root ball, probably in March, then hardened off before planting out once frosts have passed, usually in May up here. They have their own raised bed which is well fed with manure, last years plants were not huge, average weight was around 2lbs per bulb, I have had white mammoths get to 5 lbs in the past further south, but they were milder and not so good for the kitchen, just too big for the 2 of us.
    Going slightly off topic here but what are the Mammoth Pot Leeks like? Nearly brought some seed but wasn’t too sure if they were just like normal Leeks

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I don't try to store big onions, they are sliced and or diced and frozen in bags/containers, we are using ours now for dinner.
    I have just planted mine, Mammoth Reds and Mammoth Pot Leeks from Robinsons, planted in modules in general purpose compost, not seed compost, that way I don't disturb the plants at the loop stage, but leave them where they are with food available. They will go into larger pots without disturbing the root ball, probably in March, then hardened off before planting out once frosts have passed, usually in May up here. They have their own raised bed which is well fed with manure, last years plants were not huge, average weight was around 2lbs per bulb, I have had white mammoths get to 5 lbs in the past further south, but they were milder and not so good for the kitchen, just too big for the 2 of us.

Leave a comment:

• MarkHackwell
    replied
    Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
    Mark & Burnie, do the Mammoth Red keep well? I've had enormous red onions from Long Red Florence seed, in the past, but with thick necks they don't store at all well - so wondered if it's worth changing to the Red Mammoth?
    Having never tried Mammoth Red I have no idea but Brunei may know? I will let you know once they have grown and I have stored them!

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Mark & Burnie, do the Mammoth Red keep well? I've had enormous red onions from Long Red Florence seed, in the past, but with thick necks they don't store at all well - so wondered if it's worth changing to the Red Mammoth?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X