X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veg man
    replied
    Hi all my onions are about 3" tall under lights for about 12hrs a day the thing i need to ask is the top 1" where the seed case was has died back i was going to say shrivelled up but i might of got a comment from my friend vg so thought not to. Is this the norm or have i got a problem would take a pic to show you but dont know how to upload it

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    My progress so far.

Here's hoping.

Potty
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Currysniffa
    replied
    Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    Onions and leeks need 50ºf to continue growing and the idea is to get them started off and keep them growing without a check. At all costs prevent them from freezing. Other than that, depends on your priorities. If you just want onions, don't give them heat, if you want really good onions, keep them cosy
    Understood. Thanks AP I can move them off the heat then.. And sow some shallots

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Onions and leeks need 50ºf to continue growing and the idea is to get them started off and keep them growing without a check. At all costs prevent them from freezing. Other than that, depends on your priorities. If you just want onions, don't give them heat, if you want really good onions, keep them cosy

Leave a comment:

• Currysniffa
    replied
    AP I've still got mine sat on heat in the window sill. Do they still need heat when they've been pricked out, or can I move them to another window sill or even the cold greenhouse?

Leave a comment:

• Currysniffa
    replied
    Originally posted by vikkib View Post
    When I was scouring PW's old thread about banana shallots (ooops, non onions again! ) I saw a nifty idea which involved using paper clips...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...html#post68441

If I ever manage to germinate any sha... I mean onion seeds I shall be shamelessly nicking this idea as, for some reason, I seem to have acquired 3 boxes of paperclips from somewhere!
    I'm SO nicking that idea. Great while there small seedlings. Cheers

I nipped into Wickes on my way back from school and picked some garden wire up before seeing your post. The wire will come in when they are bigger plants..
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    .......fankoo

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Thelma, give them another week or so and then into a 2.5" -3" pot

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Mine are in those small plug trays (54 plants to a seed tray size) and some have roots just beginning to escape.

What size module or pot do I need to move them on to now?

Leave a comment:

• vikkib
    replied
    Originally posted by Currysniffa View Post
    Need to get some wire now. I've been in pound shop and wilkos so looks like a trip to the garden centre after all.
    When I was scouring PW's old thread about banana shallots (ooops, non onions again! ) I saw a nifty idea which involved using paper clips...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...html#post68441

If I ever manage to germinate any sha... I mean onion seeds I shall be shamelessly nicking this idea as, for some reason, I seem to have acquired 3 boxes of paperclips from somewhere!

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Good pic of the onions just starting to emerge from the crook stage which is the best time to prick out as at that point there is only a single root.

Leave a comment:

• Currysniffa
    replied
    My F1's Centro took 4 days to germinate which was a nice surprise as I was expecting at least a 10 day wait. Started pricking out the largest of the seedlings.

Need to get some wire now. I've been in pound shop and wilkos so looks like a trip to the garden centre after all.
    Last edited by Currysniffa; 17-01-2013, 12:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    That's right Potty, you put your foot down with a firm hand.............

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    But,but,but banana shallots are only mild tasting Rouge Long de Florence Onions,I am growing from seed so surely the same techniques apply ?

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Clean it up.......Clean it up...... Are you insinuating that we've got it grubby, Potty

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X