Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorted the onion seeds out this afternoon and I am going to sow on the 29th (moon day). Most of my onion sets were ok, but overall wasn't impressed with them from a certain company, so will stick with seed from now on.
    I will be sowing:Hi Keeper,Roja de Niort,Ailsa Craig,Brunswick and any more I come across in the box.I'm sure that I have a packet of Kelsae somewhere.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

This is my first season proper veg growing and have just sown a tray of ailsa craig and a tray of red brunswick. Really looking for a good crop and some proper storage too once harvested. Might have a good sized patch in a local field to use this season which will be ace, even considering a poly tunnel if it's secure enough.

The plan is to germinate them in the spare room then put into modules again in the spare room. Come mid march I'm thinking of the greehouse (unheated) then outside a month later.

Comment

Moved my first batch from kitchen to unheated greenhouse today.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Are onions ok with the cold then so long as they are germinated in the heat?

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
            Are onions ok with the cold then so long as they are germinated in the heat?
            Yes, onions are OK with cold.
            The propagator is useful, because seeds won't always germinate in cold, wet soil. Whereas warm, moist soil works a treat. Just don't leave the seedlings in the warm for too long.

You want slow, steady growth until they can go in the ground outside in spring
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-02-2010, 06:49 PM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TS,
              I have never managed to grow onions from seed before so I am hoping that this year, with all the great advice on here I may be successful. They will be duly transferred to the greenhouse once germinated. Fingers crossed.
              Last edited by Incy; 28-12-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I normally transfer them once they are about half an inch above the soil - or when the OH starts moaning that there are too many pots in the kitchen...whichever is sooner.

Comment

Thanks Andrea, I don't have the complaints problem here so will aim for the 1/2 inch above the soil method

Comment

Just planted ailsa Craig and Brunswick in propagator. Placed on ledge of south facing though unheated glass conservatory window. Fingers x

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      Mine also went in the greenhouse yesterday. Can't bear to see an empty windowsill so I've started more Chilli & Pepper, also Cauli seeds on kitchen paper. Maybe a bit early for Cauli but we'll see.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've sown a tray of Marco and a tray of red baron, they are on a window sill so hopefully will be ok. I'll move them to the tent cloche and cover with fleece once they are big enough. I need more window sills.
                        Bex

Comment

Just managed to buy some Golden Bear seeds cheaply (£1,45 for a large packet of Kings seeds from the lottie shop)today so hopefully will get them started tomorrow!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Will move mine off the heat tomorrow as they are at least an inch high.Will have a look to see how much root they have made and may well pot them on into 2.5" pots.

Ian

Comment

Can I start off some leeks or is it too early?
                              I've got really itchy fingers
                              Bex

Comment

Sowed about 50 to 60 Golden Bear onion seeds today in modules. Still have half the packet left for a later sowing.
                                They will now go in propagator on my bedroom windowsill.

I grew Golden Bear last year because of there disease resistance. I grew them in an area affected with onion white rot as a trial and none of them succumbed. They were on the small side though, so this year I've sowed them early to hopefully get rteasonable sized bulbs.
                                Don't think I'll bother with the large Kelsae onions from seed this year as they take up a lot of ground space ( at least 12 inches apart for decent sized bulbs) and don't really keep well.

Whilst I was in the greenhouse with the woodburner making it nice and warm, I transplanted two large moduled trays of the vegetatively produced leeks I've grown from grass. They are good sturdy plants from a show leek strain.
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X