X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaureenHall
    replied
    I've re-potted my 3 surviving plants this week. They look really strong and sturdy and I noticed very tiny tubers when I was doing the re-potting. They're in small buckets with holes round the bottom rather than in big plant pots now and I've put them outside the greenhouse door in the garden. Fingers crossed there's no frost!

Leave a comment:

• Phreddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    If you have enough seed phreddy...try both!

I reckon mine preferred the lower temperatures of a cold greenhouse!
    I haven't looked to see how much seed I have. It has been donated by Flummary and Duronal. That's bad of me! I have just been waiting for an improvement in the weather.

Setting up my propagator this week-end - light bulb in a box with seed trays above.

Leave a comment:

• Duronal
    replied
    If you grew them in pots snadger maybe you stack them in an elaborate pyramid shape?!

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by Flummery View Post
    Mine are at the stage where they really need separate pots - they are in a seed tray at the moment. I'm going to give them a small pot each initially then plant them into a big pot - tomato sized. Otherise, I shan't know which spuds are which. I want to try one of each and then save the tubers of the best variety in the fridge bottom for next year.
    Tubers??????? Theres' optimism for you!

I have a 3 inch pot which must have about a thousand seeds germinated in it! I'll try potting a few on when they get a bit bigger but if I used them all I'd need to buy a small farm to house them!

Leave a comment:

• Flummery
    replied
    Mine are at the stage where they really need separate pots - they are in a seed tray at the moment. I'm going to give them a small pot each initially then plant them into a big pot - tomato sized. Otherise, I shan't know which spuds are which. I want to try one of each and then save the tubers of the best variety in the fridge bottom for next year.

Leave a comment:

• Demeter
    replied
    Now that I have a good lot of seedlings (Salad Blue, Rooster and King Edwards) coming through I am starting to think about how and where to plant! I am working on the assumption that they are frost tender as per "normal" spud plants - which is fine as long as the current rate of growth doesn't accelerate much! I have buckets / containers and I also have plenty of space at the allotment site which I could use. However, as I don't know what I'm going to get, I'm slightly nervous about growing them in the ground (blight and all that) - but also keen to minimise container-growing this year as I am rubbish at keeping everything watered.

What are others planning to do?

Leave a comment:

• Duronal
    replied
    My best germination happened without the propagator next to a set of french windows. I'd wait for a full 28days before of throwing seed out though some seeds just seem to need time.

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by Phreddy View Post
    Looking for advice before I sow them!
    Some opine that the window sill is too warm; Others have sown early (too cold?); Now some are growing that did not germinate at the lower temp.
    What is optimum please or is it 'suck it and see'?
    If you have enough seed phreddy...try both!

I reckon mine preferred the lower temperatures of a cold greenhouse!

Leave a comment:

• Phreddy
    replied
    Looking for advice before I sow them!
    Some opine that the window sill is too warm; Others have sown early (too cold?); Now some are growing that did not germinate at the lower temp.
    What is optimum please or is it 'suck it and see'?

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by Demeter View Post
    Whoop!
    We have potatoes.
    (Just a few!)
    Strange but euphoric aint it!

Leave a comment:

• Demeter
    replied
    Originally posted by Demeter View Post
    Thanks Snadger.
    Haven't any more seeds to resow but will give the original lot a bit more time before I sling them on the compost!!
    Whoop!
    We have potatoes.
    (Just a few!)

Leave a comment:

• kernowyon
    replied
    after abject failure in my first batch I have about 20 seeds left from the salad blues from Quark1, i will try them again though but I think I will just sow in a pot and place in coldframe, I think my window sills are just too warm (good for peppers and toms though)

Leave a comment:

• Duronal
    replied
    I think you're right snadger. Certainly the Kind Edwards are hybrid potatoes but i don't know if the salad blues are. It would be nice to have some blue potatoes but at this precise time everything is in the hands of the gods/genetics!

Leave a comment:

• Demeter
    replied
    Thanks Snadger.
    Haven't any more seeds to resow but will give the original lot a bit more time before I sling them on the compost!!
    Last edited by Demeter; 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    I sowed some months ago in a propagator and four germinated and got leggy whilst waiting for the others to appear!

I sowed some others recently and just put them in a cold greenhouse. These have germinated well and also the original pot now in the cold greenhouse has lots more appearing.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X