Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit cage for allotment

Hi,
    The last couple of seasons I have lost a lot of fruit and veg to wildlife, much more than ever before so now I'm thinking of caging the allotment. My thinking at the moment is if I'm going to go to the effort of doing it shall I cage the whole space? I've been looking at this cage https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/...s-pid7530.html and looks and sounds like the perfect option. Is it worth caging everything or shall I just prioritise?
    Thanks Pete

Hiya Pete & welcome to the Jungle, I personally would only cage Fruit & Debris net Brassicas. The reason is that fruit need pollinating insects, Brassicas don't, but you need fine net to stop Cabbage Whites entering.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-11-2016, 11:56 AM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Like BM I only net fruit and brassicas. I made bespoke frames for the fruit bushes, which are easy to take down at the end of fruiting. You can get netting cut to measure at Nutleys Kitchen Gardens, or other places online.

I am going to build a big cage for a new fruit plantation, using 8ft stakes and bamboo canes for the structure and covering in netting that I am hoping Santa will deliver on his rounds...Should work out much MUCH cheaper than buying a cage, plus it'll be tailored to fit my plot.
      Attached Files
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I'm gunna cage my strawberrys again and will be using the frame off a greenhouse and covering it in netting.
        When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Hi Pete and welcome
          You must be a very wealthy man if you're considering netting the whole plot
          I have raspberries netting tunnel and brassicas in a netted cage made from some cheap greenhouse frames. I'm growing strawberries and grapes in there next year.
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1450683
          Otherwise, I use small bed-sized movable cages to cover vulnerable plants at the right time of year.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all for your advice! Yeah I know the cost is high but I'm looking at it from an investment point of view. I also saw an allotment on a trip recently that had done exactly that and it looked great!

Comment

I picked up two greenhouse frames from B&Q for a £5 when they were clearing out the dross and getting rid of stock they are going to be erected and covered in netting to keep the birds out for my fruit and trees what I really need to work out is how the hell I'm going to get it all in two 6ft x 6ft cages.
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

I bought one of the aluminium fruit cages from Harrod and regretted it. The net is good but the poles bend in the slightest wind and the plastic connectors have broken as well. I like the idea of the greenhouse frames that would work better IMO.

Comment

Great website to take a look at

Hi there,

this is a great website to give you a rundown of fruit cage companies.

Fruit Cage Comparison - GardenFocused.co.uk

hope it helps!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X