Children and allotments?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of interest:-

This is a legal requirement for any Newcastle Upon Tyne Allotment Association

Denton Dene Allotments Association

Children and Vulnerable Persons Policy

Denton Dene Allotments Association recognises that it is always unacceptable for a child or a young person or a vulnerable adult to experience abuse of any kind and recognises its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children, young persons and vulnerable adults by commitment to practice which protects them.

We recognise that:-
    1. The welfare of the child or young person or vulnerable adult is paramount
    2. All persons, including children and vulnerable adults, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity have the equal right to protection from all types of harm and abuse
    3. Working in partnership with children, young people, vulnerable adults, their parents, carers and their agencies is essential in promoting their welfare

The purpose of the policy:-
    A) To provide protection for the children and young people and vulnerable adults who use Denton Dene Allotments Association services including the children of adult members
    B) To provide all members with guidance on procedures they should adopt in the event they suspect a child or young person or vulnerable adult may be experiencing, or be at risk of, harm

We will safeguard children, young people and vulnerable adults by:
    • Valuing them , listening to them, respecting them
    • Adopting appropriate protection guidelines
    • Ensuring that each community group working directly with children, young people and vulnerable adults within Denton Dene Allotments has their own appropriate protection policy in place
    • Sharing information about good practice with members, external bodies and other allotment associations in Newcastle
    • Sharing concerns with agencies that need to know and involving children, young people, vulnerable adults their parents and carers appropriately
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I think this has less to do with where the plot is or who the neighbours are etc and more to do with what kind of parent you are.

Most people like/can handle/tolerate kids who are nice even if they are a bit noisy at times. Most people don't like/can't handle/tolerate unruly, undisciplined, left to their own devices kids.

So if you are willing and able to respect others and acknowledge that your kids might be an issue for others (as you clearly do) then you will obviously not be the type of parent who will let them just run wild or become incredibly loud or annoying to others. Go for the plot closer to home for all the reasons already given by others and enjoy it!

I have a learning disabled child and I'm well experienced with the type of issues you can encounter day in day out so I have every sympathy for your concerns. I've found that taking the bull by the horns has been the best approach for us in new situations. For example, if it were me with my child, I would be very friendly, walk round the plots and introduce ourselves and explain that my child has a disability and what that might mean (with regards to noise etc) but that at any point if they became overly annoying to please talk to me as I completely understand their point of view too. After years of keeping ourselves to ourselves and 'suffering' with snide looks and barbed comments, I've found people are so much nicer if they understand more and they feel their own feelings are being valued too.

Perhaps you might consider introducing yourselves and acknowledging that the children are young and so will not be silent or still but that you will be as respectful as possible and just to let you know if there are any problems. I suspect people would naturally put up with a lot more that way.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing pictures!

Comment

I used to get more annoyed with roaming dogs than I do kids. Unlike some dogs, I find treats usually work with kids.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I think you will be fine, remember everyone was a kid once, thats how I got into gardening, helping my grandad

I would just build a fence round the plot that why they cant escape! lol keep it to short and sweet sessions, give them each their own bed to grow stuff

It wouldnt worry me having kids about as long as they were supervised

Comment

I do think it's nice to start children's appreciation of food,how it's grown nature etc as early as possible.
            The back of your house allotments ideal. Would you take all three children at once? I must admit noise is a bit of an issue as we've had some noisey ones. I don't bother about the shouting laughing etc but why do folk allow the piercing non stop screaming ??? I think as one other allotmenteer said, it's a bit of a generation thing. We as kids were allowed to enjoys laughing/shouting but screaming was a no no. Barking dogs are much more irritating from the houses around our allotments as are noisey screaming children in the gardens. That said a more serious issue is the safety one You'd have to have eyes in the back of your head...no doubt firmly established by now anyway! You'd need to enclose the little ones as allotments are dangerous places for discarded items such as glass tools rusty stuff potholes and water. Last summer I watched from a distance as a mum screamed some interesting words at her toddler and legged it over to him as he started to climb into one of the the water troughs dotted around our allotment. By your own admission they sound a handful but maybe if someone could accompany you it could work. The allotment interest itself will lower your stress levels immensely..that a certainty. Good Luck.

Comment

I've found with my girls (5yr and 7rs) they like having their 'own' patch and having somewhere to go and rest. They also love sowing seeds, watering and picking, so feel it's definitely worth the investment of time & effort for the potential rewards.

Some of my happiest childhood memories are of helping my Dad with the spuds etc. This is our chance to create memories for our children.

Best of luck!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X