Optimum size of allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum size of allotment

I am on the waiting list of a local council allotment.

I recently visited the site and was informed that when plots become available they are being divided into approximately 3m x 5m areas before reallocation. This is being done, apparently, to giving the opportunity to more people on the waiting list. Income generation, I am certain, does not come into it!

Obviously a shed or greenhouse is out of the question but what about the question of crop rotation and general husbandry? Is there an optimum size of allotment, below which, it no longer becomes viable?

Hi and welcome
    A lot of allotments are being subdivided to cope with the demand for plots, shortening the waiting lists. Sometimes a smaller plot can be good - an opportunity to dip your toe in the water, without being overwhelmed.
    You've been offered something like a quarter plot. Splitting that into 4 beds gives you space for rotation.
    Only you can decided whether its large enough to make it worthwhile.

Comment

3m x 5m = 15sq m? (10ft x 16ft in old money) That is very small -
      Are they just starter plots and you can move to a bigger plot once you've proved you know what you are doing? I know some sites that have that system.
      whereabouts are the plots?

An old fashioned full plot was 250square metres, councils are halving them around here, and 125 square metres is now called a full plot.
      Mine is smaller, about 75sq m and crops quite well.

It depends how keen you are to grow at least some veg of your own, whether you think it's worth it.

There's an old thread with some small plot advice here
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post383719

Comment

3x5 will give you 8 beds @ 3ft x 4ft with 18" paths............it's your call whether that is enough.........p.s welcome to the vine........One important thing to bare in mind is not to only take into account the ground space, things like Beans/Peas can be grown up trellis's etc so only need 1ft wide growing space..............think outside the box & you'll make it work...........
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 24-09-2016, 10:59 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

There is always square foot gardening to look at, it is possible to grow a lot in small area and still get rotation in. Welcome to the madhouse!
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Optimum size to me is what you can cope with, allotment gardening can be time consuming if the plots are too big....best thing to do is just enjoy it....

Comment

That is a very small plot to be offered. My quarter plot is 60 square metres, so you are being offered a sixteenth of a plot, presumably at a sixteenth of the rent. I have two plots and still run out of space. Having said that if you've never gardened before it's a good place to start. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your responses and information.

I have had previous experience of being an allotmenteer albeit 25 years ago! It is my impression that the Council are far from being ambivalent in this regard. True, by subdividing plots this allows more people on the waiting list access BUT, and this may well be the cynic in me, existing potholders are being faced with large increases in their rent thereby encouraging many to vacate.

This situation then allows the Council to divide existing plots, into up to four smaller plots and thereby get a corresponding increase in rental revenue.

For someone who would ideally like a small polytunnel/greenhouse and grow both flowers and vegetables, it seems far from ideal or practical.

Just wondered how other allotmenteers viewed the situation.

Many thanks

Comment

Unfortunately it's a sign of the times, Councils will try to get revenue from wherever possible & if that means dividing a plot into 4 but charging the full rate for a quarter plot then that's what they'll do. There is always someone willing to pay over the odds..............whatever odds are.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Makes me glad im in a rural area and only 12 plots on the allotment, i have 2 at side of each other and are 25 ft by 50 ft each.

Comment

Pooleman, have a read of http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ost_69355.html to see how wide the variation is across the UK.
                      How much will your plot cost?

Comment

3m x 5m is really tiny, you have my sympathies. Can you move up to something bigger over the years?

Plot sizes and costs vary hugely as VC's said. My 125sqm half plot would cost four times as much if it were 2 boroughs over. I have a 45sqm quarter plot too, which has a greenhouse and enough space to grow some crops that would be otherwise very expensive to buy - with a bit of a focus on vertical growing. Much as cabbages and caulis are wonderful, with limited space they probably aren't the best use of what I have available.

Depending on where you are, https://www.lendandtend.com/ might give you a better option.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Going with the sizes you state - they're taking the p1ss.
                          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

250 square metres (10 rods/poles) was deemed to be the size required during WW2 to feed a family of four if used intensively!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

God bless 'austerity' !!!

We've never known it so good.
                              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X