Canarina Canariensis Conundrum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canarina Canariensis Conundrum

I received a parcel today of seeds and included amongst the seed packets I ordered was a free gift sample sachets of Canarina Canariensis - The Canary Bell Flower. This is a climber that can get 3m long.

I'm trying to keep my allotment to mainly edibles so though it would passed along but then, when checking out the Kew Gardens page, I discovered that it WAS edible.

Has anyone grown this plant and if so is it REALLY worth eating?

Now Teneriffe is a tad warmer than Newcastle and the plants would probably die off.

Not to sure where to grow it either. Would it grow through a hedge?

I probably SHOULD put it in a seed swap.

But.....

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Yes, I looked it up and the fruits are edible. But you couldn't grow it outdoors in Newcastle or most parts of the UK, except maybe areas with the very mildest winters. It's a perennial that only starts growing actively in the autumn, flowers and fruits over the winter, and then goes dormant in summer. But it doesn't tolerate frost lower than -2 Celsius. So you could only grow it in a large container in a warm light place e.g. a heated greenhouse or conservatory.

Canarina canariensis (Canary bell-flower) | Plants & Fungi At Kew
    Last edited by Zelenina; 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Well if anyone fancies an edible climbing perennial with nice red bell flowers from the Canary Islands and have the climate for it (or a very large heated greenhouse) they're up for grabs

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Bet my Mum'd like 'em! Anything you'd like to swap for that I could conceivably have?
        My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
          Bet my Mum'd like 'em! Anything you'd like to swap for that I could conceivably have?
          PM me and let me know where to send them to and they're yours.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

The Canarina Canariensis seeds have gone to a new home.

It's a nice home in a nice warm zoo where they can make friends with all the other tropical plants.

They will be very happy in their new home at the zoo.

Unfortunately the zoo is a long long way away, and I can't visit it.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X