Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grow organically from non-organic plugs

Hi all,
    I just started to work on my first allotment and sought some advice on how to grow vegetables the organic way.
    I was advised by different people that if I buy non-organic veg plots and I grow them organically afterwards, then the crop can be considered organic as “nature will do its course”.
    I am now not sure whether to buy organic (which is quite troublesome to find) or non-organic plants and would love some comments.

Cheers,

Marco

Hello Marco & welcome to the vine, is there any reason why you can't sow your own seeds in a medium of your choice?
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

As long as you use no sprays or pesticides and only feed organically, I would say that your food is organic - whatever type of seedlings you start off with.

Comment

Hi Marco,
        It depends how strict a definition of organic you want to follow. There is a movement which is campaigning for plug plants to be grown in peat-free, organic compost. And that the plug plants haven't been sprayed with neonicotinoids in the nurseries.

The Organic Gardening Catalogue offer a good range of organic seeds and plants - have you used them before?

Personally I raise my seedlings in peat-free compost and grow on organically as possible. I don't beat myself up if occasionally I chuck in growmore rather than chicken pellets/BFB or I buy the odd bag of peat-based compost if I can't find peat-free.

(The one caveat is anything I grow for the HSL seed guardianship scheme is strictly organic only and I make sure I don't slip up with the growmore there!)
        Last edited by sparrow100; 10-04-2016, 01:24 PM. Reason: HSL info added - just in case anyone ever gets my seeds!
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
          As long as you use no sprays or pesticides and only feed organically, I would say that your food is organic - whatever type of seedlings you start off with.
          That's the way I do it too I refuse to become obsessed with it like some do - I just stick to 'my' rules of no chemicals or poisons and work with Nature by growing flowers/plants in amongst my crops to attract beneficial insects and animals. It doesn't take long to get that natural balance
          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I buy plug plants all the time and by the time they either are producing or are ready to be pulled up anything that had been sprayed is long gone and i class what i eat as organic as i know nothing has been sprayed on that broccoli head or cauliflower.

then the rest i grow from seed and i do not buy organic seed but again by the time it is on my plate, i think it is organic!!

It is a big rabbit hole once you start going down it!!
            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Technically they can't claim to be 100% organic if they haven't got a full organic life, however if you're growing for yourself then do what you're comfortable with. I only buy plugs if my seeds fail (I grow from seed as it's cheaper and I can get the mix of varieties I want) but don't worry too much about their past life and still consider them relatively organic due to the way I've grown them on.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm another one in the "don't beat yourself up about it camp." Unless you are growing commercially then I don't think it matters too much.

Comment

I agree with what everybody else has said, but just to add if you were strictly organic then you wouldn't use plastic in any form, and not even tap water.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/site...es-part1_0.pdf

I garden by the 'middle way', which is no pesticides on any edible crops. And environmentally as possible, as much as I can.

And this company sells organically veg plug plants. But I've not used them... Delfland Nurseries Limited

Best of luck.
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

The only problem I can think of, is they are quite often treated with neonic's, which can last quite a long time and can cause problems for bees when they pollinate any flowers.

Comment

Regardless of how you treat the plants after you've bought them, I don't think they can technically be classed as organic.

Regardless of how the plants were raised, I think.. and I may be wrong.. that the soil association need the ground to be chemical free for around 6 years to be fully organic.

I simply don't use chemicals where at all possible, that'll do me!

Just buy some seeds, and some compost, get growing and enjoy!
                      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                        Regardless of how the plants were raised, I think.. and I may be wrong.. that the soil association need the ground to be chemical free for around 6 years to be fully organic.
                        That's the easy bit though. I simply don't spend money on chemicals so don't use them. As I said earlier, I don't buy plugs if I can help it but getting hold of certified organic ones would make it much harder. Organic seeds are easier but do limit your options.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          That's the easy bit though. I simply don't spend money on chemicals so don't use them. As I said earlier, I don't buy plugs if I can help it but getting hold of certified organic ones would make it much harder. Organic seeds are easier but do limit your options.
                          I see what you're saying, I've only had my allotment for 3 years, I have no idea what has happened before that!

I think the word 'organic' means different things to different people.
                          I doubt I would buy purely certified organic seeds or plants, cost would hamper me!
                          But by the same stamp, I don't buy all organic fruit and veg in the shops.. I know its better to,but cost wouldn't allow it.

With my plot I know that the kids could pick something and eat it straight away, and know exactly how it's been raised... That'll do me!
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                            With my plot I know that the kids could pick something and eat it straight away, and know exactly how it's been raised... That'll do me!
                            I think that is where most of want to be. No food miles or concerns about contamination - good, honest food

Comment

You would have to spend some time ensuring the existing soil was free of chemicals etc before you could declare it organic.
                              You can not use chemicals on your plot and that is a good start.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X