Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Why are you spending time here, get to your plot and start digging
    I would only its been raining all day, as in non stop without a breather..... tomorrow however... meant to be shiny and dry all day.
    My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope its shiny and dry for all of us - and St Swithin!! Enjoy your new plot

Comment

Well thats the first day up the plot done, got my wife's dad to look after our son as I found an Epi Pen when I last popped down so didn't want him finding any nasties with his curiosity. This meant we only had a few hours but boy did we make a dent, I started one end my wife started the other and I made my priority clearing out by the fruit area (Black/Red currant and Raspberry) while she started clearing the first bed. I reckon she must of cleared about half the first bed (plot is 8m x 11m approximately hard to see as paths are not equal) as the plot was split into 2 beds and this looked the easiest to clear as it had lots of poppies on it which are shallow rooted. On my section I managed to clear the back right upto the boundary with the next plot and about 1m infront of that but I had all the bindweed, stinging nettles, couch grass and a reminder to self check the raspberry bush for stinging nettles before you try and pin it back because this way when it flies back into your face it doesnt cover your face in nettle stings lol!
        My new Blog.

Comment

Any piccies? You know how nosey we are!

Comment

Bit hard to get a sense of scale as the stuff is so tall in places but you can get the general idea.
            Attached Files
            My new Blog.

Comment

I knew you wouldn't let us down, jamesy!! I think the words are - "it has lots of potential". You've done a lot in a few hours - even though your wife spent some time at the Next sale

Comment

Aye, you're going great guns Jamesy, although I do think some of your efforts sound a little rash...
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Don't nettle him, Snohare, Jamesy has enough on his hands as it is.....

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Don't nettle him, Snohare, Jamesy has enough on his hands as it is.....
                    Sorry, stinging rebuke accepted...
                    I'm sure that raspberry bush will turn out to be an uplifting experience in the end, nonetheless !

Comment

Cheeky sods aren't they? Sounds awesome Jamesy. Anyone for a cuppa?........nettle tea?
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I can tell you this much, trying to watch tv when it feels like your having acupuncture on your face is an interesting sensation.

We picked a load of fruit before we left raspberry, black and red currants and my father in laws partner was going to make a meringue with a cream and fruit topping which we will pickup some of today
                        My new Blog.

Comment

Looks like you've made a good start Jamesy
                          An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

Yes, I wish I was as currant with my crops on the allotment !

Comment

I took my son with with today to see if he could be trusted on the site and to let me get on with stuff if I gave him a job (he is 2 and a half). I pulled up a pile of stuff from the first bed and thats now 3/4 or so cleared and another plot holder lent me his sickle so I cleared the middle path between the 2 beds as well. It seems however that attention span for this kind of work with my boy Joshua is about 30mins as after that he wanted to go investigate a big marigold patch nearby and a covered brassica bed that had bright orange netting

Attached Files
                              My new Blog.

Comment

LOL maybe you could make him a toddler bed..............orange net off a section of a cleared bed and trap, oops I mean let him play in it
                                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X