Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Gotta Lottie I Gotta Lottie I Gotta Lottie I Gotta Lottie I Gotta Lottie!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeleneMourie View Post
    The council offered to rotavate and till it which we politely declined!!! About half of it has been dug up by hand getting rid of the dandelions and quarry rocks with much help from my beloved OH
    Great decision. Rotovating works fine on a clean plot but best avoided where you don't know what is lurking below the surface.

Enjoy your plot.

Comment

I dreamt I read a thread last night about someone getting an allotment 8x4m!

I'm so shocked.

I looked up the area the allotment was in expecting it to be acres of rolling concrete and it's not. it's a hugely green area (Although I dn't know what road the allotments are on)

Whilst I applaud every single new allotment that comes into being, I am just quite shocked to see how they have divided these up.

They're the size I'd imagine you'd make if you tried to make allotments in Piccaddily gardens for the entire Manchester waiting lists.

I am very pleased for you - and in one way it might be good. Small plots should be well tended plots.

Comment

yups it's very small but the new tenant is delighted so I am delighted for her also

Comment

U know it's teeny tiny but it will keep us going until we can get an actual allotment!
          The area is very green and the council made a huge 'flagship' thing about creating new allotments etc because the waiting list is so long round here. Everything is classed ans green belt land or brown sites etc... They are called Tan Y Bryn allotments, you can read all about how proud the council are about them lol!!
          GYO Photos, Pests, Problems and luvvin it!!
          http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...ie/Vegetables/

Comment

Hi SM,
            I was on the waiting list for 4 years and finally, and unexpectedly, got a lottie in February.
            It is a beautiful site, away from everything (including shouting neighbours! ) and full of friendly peeps. I literally jumped up and down like a mad woman. For ages.
            Mine has loads of fruit bushes already, and I have planted 6 fruit trees.
            The rent is Ģ38, dear compared to yours SM, but worth every penny.

I had my name down for two sites, and of course they both have come up together ......I was very tempted to take the second one as well, but I think it's only fair to let the next person on the list have it.
            Besides, the one I have is lovely beyond what I could have hoped for.

Happy days
            What is this life, if full of care,
            We have no time to stand and stare
            . . .[/I][/I]

Comment

its deffinatly something you can work with, id be put off with the extra renting for the shed though. I think its quite sweet, if you have a small area you grow in already at home then its just a case of starting seeds at home and taking them to the plot
              It makes you become more clever in your growing style and you are forced to only grow what you will deffinalty eat instead of what some in inc me grow things you most likely wont eat

The I got lottie bug is catching I was doing the same to jumping up and down hehe

well done lots of positive growing thoughts sending your way

Also word on my council if you are seen to tend your plot well it bodes well if you want a bigger one in future,
              Last edited by areia; 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Tiny plot in full swing!

well it has been a couple of months now and we have been working hard on our little bit of land. We have all ready harvester Peas, Potatoes and Radish (all tasted amazing!!!!!)

We were donated some raspberry canes the day we got the plot from another plotter and now have about 10 green berries growing which is nice

We have potatoes, beans, tiny fennel, tiny Kohlrabi (which the boy will love to see the weird purple alien things growing!), courgette, squash (not that its doing much!), pumpkin, psbs, cauliflowers, carrots, parsnips, raspberries, strawberries, peas, sweetcorn, swedes and beetroot!

For our first year i think the size was ideal to get a grip on how to grow things (and the amount of quarry rocks we had to dig out of it! ) We DEFINITELY want a bigger plot as soon as one is free!

Here are some pics

Attached Files

Comment

At the beginning -

Now -

The space is because we just pulled up a load of the potatoes where the rhubarb is!
                  Attached Files

Comment

You're doing really well Personally, I think its better to have a small plot and do it well than have a larger space and be overwhelmed by it. Congratulations!!

Comment

Looks superb well done.

Comment

Looking nice & healthy SM, as it's also my 1st year having a plot, I know how excited you must feel.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi SM,

Glad you are enjoying your plot :-). I just wanted to let you know that I took a half plot because it was offered and I thought it's better to have something but secretly wanted larger plot in a closer site lol. Then the next week I got a phonecall and was offered a full size plot at the site closest to my house :-) so if you are still hoping for more land just wanted to say don't give up hope - already having a plot didn't hinder my chances at being offered something different!

No-h

Comment

I'm so proud it's daft lol
                            With the containers at home having the salads, sugar peas and such in it has worked out pretty well, i did have my doubts before as it was so small but i am so glad i grabbed it when i did. It is on the road i use to go to and from work and there is nothing better than stopping off for a while weeding away watching the view of the sea
                            The other half has taken to it in a great way and of course he did all the 'wood' stuff but i see him staring at it with a big grin on his face when he thinks i'm not looking
                            The boy has planted most of the plants and sown a lot of the seeds and is loving being able to get involved. Our neighbours like him being there and getting involved which is great!

There are even going to be drinks in the local pub next month! (its about 200 yards from the site which is handy!)

Thank you for the kind comments
                            I haven't looked at everybody's plots but i did nose round veggie chickens hill of a place and loved the boat seat! As for yours BM i was actually looking at it a few days ago because of you entering the competition and it is so so so neat!!! I did start off with the idea of sqf gardening but it ended up being sq meter gardening!!

Comment

Random Update: I got offered my full plot last week
                              Well ot is actually 125mē so half a plot.
                              Only took 8 years
                              Still, it is 3 minutes walk, only 18 plots on site and it will be fantastic!!!

Comment

Super news!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X