• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardeners' World - Allotments

Gardeners' World
    BBC 2
    Fri 3 Mar, 20:00 - 21:00

Monty explores allotment life, meeting a diverse cast of characters and learning some unusual growing techniques along the way. The programme reaches its climax at the annual produce show.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...ld/index.shtml

I take it that this is a special like last weeks "British Fruits" program with Sarah Raven, Guest staring "the potato sack coat". Some kind person should take her to one side and explain that all her good information she has lovingly put together goes out of the window in the first part of each show as it takes us that long to tear our eyes off her coat. I am sure that her coat is a very old friend, but please Sarah ditch it and buy something warm that has a little shape and style to it. I am sure that under that monstrously big overpowering coat is a shapely woman trying to get out. Don’t get me started on Monty Don's leather thing.
    Jax
    Last edited by Jaxom; 04-03-2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

I'm afraid the Allotment program tonight is a repeat according to the Radio Times, it is the program that they broadcast in 2003/4, I don't know why they couldn't have recorded a new episode so that we may have learn't something new, or better still show The Big Dig, which is all about allotments and which they put on at a stupid time last summer and then axed it because not many people were watching it. I think the BBC has lost the plot!!! again.

Comment

I agree Steve, but I missed it last year, so can't wait to see it tonight.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed the allotment program. Many good tips from folk on the ground who did what they knew helped to produce the best tasting vegetables in an organic manner.
          Anyone for Gooseberry drink?
          Jax

Comment

I thought the lady growing plants to create her own dyes was wonderful. She was growing woade and Madder and a whole host of plants to colour natural fabrics. It was interesting when they went back later in the year and she showed how to carry out the dying process.
            Jax

Comment

I particularly like this programme, seen it before, took the gooseberry drink recipe from here but got some more great top tips, like earthing up your carrots.
              Best wishes
              Andrewo
              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Never seen it before, but then I wasn't a "plotter" before
                Enjoyable watching with a few tips.
                My snow covered plot seemed light years away from sunny Brum though

Comment

Made a change from the chelsae show garden brigade! Why can't we have more like this. If they must repeat stuff how about shoing some of the old GW progs with Geoffrety Smith on his allotemnt in leeds! At least there wouldn't be any bad coats to upset Jax Case for trinny & whats er name do you think ?
                  Last edited by nick the grief; 04-03-2006, 09:11 PM.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

At this moment in time I am watching lots of GW repeats on Sky Garden lifestyles on channel 258. Some kind person had done a good job in the editing suite to get all the best parts of various presenters over the decades. All the bits tie in to the part of the year they are shown so at this moment a lot of questions are being answered. I hadn’t realised I was getting so distracted by Sara and Monty's coats but I do have to admit that I keep on expecting the music from Steptoe and son to start playing in the background when ever they are on. Twenty years of GW and the two worst coats are always in the same program Warm does not have to mean scruffy.
                    I supose to lay wild flower turf they had to make cut backs in the budget somewhere?
                    Jax

Comment

Has anyone seen Heaven's Garden? It's on Sky 258 UK Style Gardens (fantastic channel). It had Hannah Genders creating a kitchen garden from scratch and I really enjoyed it. GW on this channel is also well edited and it's a joy to see Hamilton again.

Further details here:
                      http://www.uktvstylegardens.co.uk/in...d/536182.shtml
                      Last edited by Lesley Jay; 19-04-2006, 02:13 PM.
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo

Comment

I have watched it Andrewo but some of the things she says and does just don't seem right. Don't you think the paths were made far too wide?
                        [

Comment

Yes, they seemed wide but maybe she had big wheelbarrow or...well they say that TV puts on 10lbs to anyone on it. I think she is more of a garden designer than a grower but I enjoyed it, just to see someone trying from scratch.
                          Best wishes
                          Andrewo

Comment

Andrewo I like seeing allotment plots and vegetable gardens on TV being done from scratch - I find them really interesting. But I also think they make it look very easy!!
                            [

Comment

Of course, Lesley, they don't show the hours of digging muck in and the unearthing of things from an ice age. Wouldn't make good TV if the presenter said: "Now then, you need to really dig the plot up, use a fork first like this...what the hell? Ladies tights, who the hell buries ladies tights". I found two dozen alone when I dug my garden over, god knows who used to live here.
                              Best wishes
                              Andrewo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X