No announcement yet.

Poll: GYO wants to know how you do it!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you need different approaches for different things. I voted for hoeing and pulling because my plot is more or less under control now. Once the main top growth of weeds has been tamed, with the roots dug out as much as possible (I'm thinking of bindweed here) then regular hoeing and pulling of the odd perennial weed really makes a difference and keeps it all under control. However if I let it slip for a few weeks then other methods may be needed! If I have a part of a bed get weedy with no time to deal with it then the covering and mulching approach may be deployed as well!
    One thing I won't do is use chemicals.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I more or less shut my lottie down for winter in December bar a few bits but before I did I dug over the whole plot.
      Come last Monday I started off the new season with few weeds so the plot only required a light turning.
      I am now ready to start planting when the weather gets a little warmer.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Cant be doing with all that weeding so the spuds and onions are covered with second hand straw from the stables, keeps the weeds down I dont chop any onions weeding and there is plenty of humus to dig in at the end of the season

Comment

Two Sheds idea about the autumn newspaper mulch is one I'm going to copy - just brilliant!

Comment

Horses for courses - I have five 10 x 3m beds to keep in check and I just don't have time to handweed everything. When the ground is not in use I use black landscaping fabric (much cheaper than barrier fabric and wide enough to cover the whole bed) to cover the beds and smother out the weeds. I'm going to uncover it as the weather warms up, let any weeds germinate, then cover again after a couple of weeks. Once the veg gets going hopefully it should shade out anything I've missed, but I think I'll still have to hoe through rows of onions and garlic as their leaves let more than half the light through, unlike potatoes and cabbages.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I wonder how the magazine will interpret what we say here?
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                I wonder how the magazine will interpret what we say here?
                Time will tell sweetie!

...have you voted????
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have. But in a previous poll, the 'evidence', though reported, was ignored in the text. Dis-chuffed? Moi???
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    Hoeing and weeding; mulching and smothering - but can't vote for 2.
                    ditto that

What on earth is 'Other'??
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                      Magic and spells?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I usually hand weed any weed that makes it through the mulch, but if its an annual weed I just put some more mulch on top of it!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

At the begining of winter i smoothered everything that didn't have crops with mushroom compost and cardboard

Im now weeding by hand and doing a bit of hoeing

When the bindweed pokes its nose through ill use weedkiller

Can i vote for all three

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                            ditto that

I have seen a flame gun used..jacob
                            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I've edited the 'Other' category, asking members to post the details of their alternative cultivation methods. This category allows those who have adopted a more unconventional way of weeding to share their experiences.

So, if you ticked 'Other' and haven't posted yet...make sure you do

Thanks
                              Emma
                              www.crafts-beautiful.com

Comment

One 'other' method is to make use of allelopathy. This is the natural ability of a plant to inhibit the growth of others. Some green manure crops such as Hungarian grazing rye are very good at inhibiting the germination of following crops or weeds. Obviously it does require some skill to get the timing right, otherwise your veg won't grow either. But transplants and tuber-started crops are largely unaffected.

This method should be seen as pert of an integrated weed management system, rather than 'the' way to get rid of weeds.

Of course avoiding digging is another important method of reducing weed problems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X