Potato storage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato storage

What do folks consider the best way to store main crop potatoes, paper or hessian sacks, they will be kept in my shed on the allotment it’s dry and doesn’t leak.
    any advice would be welcome

I remember someone using a metal bin for potato storage in their allotment shed,to help protect against rats. ( I don’t have an allotment,I grow potatoes in the garden,wrap some in newspaper in boxes to store in the house,some stay outside in the compost for later ).

Comment

I've been storing mine in old pillowcases in my shed, since I don't have any sacks and don't want to buy them.
      I've not yet had enough potatoes to last longer than mid-January, but they've always still been good and firm by that point.

Comment

I store mine in spent compost. You’ve just gotta make sure it’s not got any slugs in it. I’ve been using the same load for a couple of years now and it’s works great.

Comment

I store mine in paper sacks I've had the sacks for years they originally came from the local greengrocer.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I store my potatoes in tough brown paper bags.
            I also have some proper old fashioned potato sacks I use.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Those I don’t leave in the ground, I store on open, flat wooden or cardboard boxes ( which would otherwise be used for apple storage) in a mouse/ rat proof metal cupboard in the barn. Cool and dark.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X