Potatoes for Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes for Christmas

Can I use my 2nd early spuds (Charlotte) to replant for a Christmas harvest if I keep a few and chit them ? Has anyone tried this ?

My dad used to use main crop, when he lifted them a few small ones were planted in the soil in a cold frame, worked well I seem to remember.

Comment

Yes I harvested Charlotte potatoes last Christmas Day,planted around June in a potato bag they won’t need chitting if you plant them they’ll grow shoots
      Last edited by Jungle Jane; 21-05-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I keep meaning to do this.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I might do this for fun this yr
          Northern England.

Comment

Oooh I could do this as well!
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I think all my spuds will be Christmas ones! I haven't planted any of them yet - they are all well chitted and ready to plant.
              My excuse is just back into gardening after unexpected surgery and has taken me a while to clear the perennial weeds off my beds which have taken over big time.
              Just wish I'd made more effort to cover the beds over.
              Living and learning !

Comment

Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
                I think all my spuds will be Christmas ones! I haven't planted any of them yet - they are all well chitted and ready to plant.
                My excuse is just back into gardening after unexpected surgery and has taken me a while to clear the perennial weeds off my beds which have taken over big time.
                Just wish I'd made more effort to cover the beds over.
                Living and learning !
                I've still got 5 pots worth of potatoes to go in! You are not alone
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Would that work for annabelle too - it’s a first early. Fancy trying this.

Comment

Does it matter what potatoes used?
                    Northern England.

Comment

Thanks guys, I’ll plant some small ones and see how I go.

Comment

Remember, they need to be undercover and will need some light, so not in a dark shed. A greenhouse or cold frame is ideal.

Comment

I've toyed with the idea for a few years now. i want to try it but never remember in time...

Im not sure how i feel about new potatoes with Christmas dinner - its such a big event and i feel that its very hit and miss with getting a decent crunch new potato.
                          "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                          - Henry Beard

Comment

Some earlies do roast better than others,charlottes are excellent,I boil them for about five to eight minutes then drain roughing them up gently & then put them in the hot oil,then they get nice crispy edges once cooked
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	5B03D135-2D28-4121-96C4-D234029EE882.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	2531393
                            Last edited by Jungle Jane; 16-08-2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I'm probably too late on commenting on this, but you might not have much luck just replanting your own crop straight away. Potatoes have an in-built dormancy period after harvest (at least 2-3 months in most varieties), and will no sprout at all during this time. Dormancy can be force-broken using certain plant hormones, but we don't have access to those, and things like temperature fluctuation or light levels (which might break dormancy in seeds and other plants) doesn't seem to have any effect.
                              Seed potatoes sold for late planting for a Christmas harvest are not the current year's crop, but the previous year's, kept in cold storage a bit longer than normal.

Originally posted by Peteyd View Post
                              I've toyed with the idea for a few years now. i want to try it but never remember in time...

Im not sure how i feel about new potatoes with Christmas dinner - its such a big event and i feel that its very hit and miss with getting a decent crunch new potato.
                              New potatoes are good for Boxing Day, or for supper on Christmas Evening. You're right that most don't make for good roasters, though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X