Allotment paths

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment paths

Looking for ideas for paths on my allotment. Couple years ago we put down cardboard with wood chips on top. Looked great. Now looks awful with weeds flourishing so need to start again. Have been chopping back the weeds so can at least walk round safely.
    Need strong weed suppressing properties as lots of creeping thistle and nettles. Black plastic? Damp proof membrane?

We have a mixture of different paths.
    Between the plots, one is brick-sized pavers on dampproof membrane which is fiddly to weed, one is woodchip which I hoe intermittently to keep the weeds down.
    on the plot, mostly ‘stepping stone’ paths made frombroken paving slabs (can be lifted when needed for weeding under/around).
    Am planning to try a spinach path too -the idea is spinach is low growing ground cover, which should stop weeds growing, and can be walked on - but doesn’t require mowing like grass paths do.

Comment

I had terrible weeds too, and used that awful black woven plastic sheeting with woodchip over the top for a few years, then eventually removed the black plastic. I have good woodchip paths now, the odd bit of grass arrives, but it's only grass and some creeping weed I haven't yet identified that made it through. Mostly weeds creep in where i didn't kill it properly at the border of a raised bed.
      If you have access to free woodchip, I really think its ace. You can use the partially decomposed woodchip on the compost heap, and i feel like i add to the "fungal dominated" environment on the plot. Also, you can easily plant the odd thing into it once it starts building soil underneath, should you wish to.

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions.
        the spinach path is interesting. With our wood chip paths the wood chips have completely been absorbed Guess we should have topped them up regularly. I too have 'gone off' the mypex type stuff - our weeds just laugh at it!
        I've got mypex round the greenhouse with with loose laid old bricks which have no frog, on top, but it lets the nettles through

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X