What can I do with a bale of hay

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with a bale of hay

I have been given a bale of hay as I thought it might be useful for the Lottie. If I leave it in a pile will it compost down? Also I was thinking of using it as a base layer for some raised beds I am to be making. Would this work? Are there any other uses as they said I can have another one if I want.

Dou you grow soft fruit like strawberries or things like squashes that would benefit from being kept off the ground? Useful as a mulch or added to a compost heap, it's a pity you don't have some animal that would eat it .

Comment

Chicken bedding if birds are allowed on your plot. Someone with birds will pay you for it.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

You could use it for the Ruth Stout method of growing potatoes. I tried it on one of my new beds last year and it worked surprisingly well. One of my kids found out about it and wanted to try it. I was doubtful as it can be quite wet here and I thought it would encourage so many slugs that there would be no potatoes left to harvest. I put a big sheet of cardboard over the soil, used a trowel to cut small holes through it to sit the potatoes in then covered everything with hay. No need to dig or weed the soil before planting, no earthing up needed, just add more hay instead. Can be used for other crops too apparently.

Comment

Thanks all. There are some people with chickens but I might just save some for soft fruit and try the potato method😄

Comment

get a large wooden box and make a haybox cooker out of it ... save you a few bob and makes nice porridge, rice pudding and the odd casserole

Personnally I wouldn't use Hay for chickens, the spores can cause problems. likewise the seeds in the hay can be a problem in the garden if you use it for raised beds.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X