Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato planting

Morning all,

this is my 1st year. Looking on the Web and other pages I shouldn't plant things until after the last Frost. Where I live in Kent that is predicted to be late April.

Will that be OK to plant my 2nd early and main crop spuds?

I plan to do 2nd early 1st around St George Day and then main crop a week or so later.

I have a spuds grow bag at home where I will be planting main crop around st George Day as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by No idea gardener; 12-03-2021, 06:01 AM.

Here in the South, earlies and second earlies usually go in in March. I plan to plant mine in a few days time.
    Potato leaves are frost tender, but you have to remember that it takes 10-14 days just for them to show themselves above the ground, and then you will be earthing them up two or three times over the following weeks, so that soil covering should protect them from frosts.

As for maincrop, they usually go in around mid-April. There is little point in planting them earlier than that as it doesn't really bring an earlier crop.

Comment

All the info there from ameno. So I'll just say hi and welcome. Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

I grow my spuds in tubs and they will be planted next week but will be kept in the greenhouse till after last frosts. if you plant now theyre not going to do much as the soils still cold. My old bosses dad always said if you can't sit on the soil with you bare er.... bottom and drink a mug of tea then its too early
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X