X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maytreefrannie
    replied
    Originally posted by andi&di View Post
    Gardening is by far a better gym than the gym!!Good Luck!
    Andi&Di - thanks for that reminder to encourage me to get out there no matter what the weather is like - the garden can have my pound of flesh (and more) anytime.

Leave a comment:

• lynda66
    replied
    why is such a hated plant so pretty??

we have some growing in the hedge in the garden, it seems to like it there, and has never tried to spread across the garden, though it has slowny spread along the hedge

Leave a comment:

• di
    replied
    Gardening is by far a better gym than the gym!!Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• maytreefrannie
    replied
    Andi and Di - yes, pretty white flowers and heart shaped leaves

and

Two Sheds - yes, thanks for the image, that's the one -

looks like my Autumn work is set out for me; cutting them down, every last one - well I need to lose weight and I'm not one for the gym so maybe this will give me the exercise to get me back into last year's skirts.

Anyway, thanks, now at least I know something about what I'm dealing with.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Mum
    replied
    and dispose or burn the stuff, dont compost it!!!

Leave a comment:

• Two_Sheds
    replied
    You need to keep pulling it up, don't let it get as far as the flowering stage.
    It will still try to come back for a while, but no plant can survive constant, persistent defoliation.

Glyphosate is useful if bindweed is coming up among your plants and you can't dig it out. Let it wind up a cane, and apply glypho to the leaves

Leave a comment:

• Two_Sheds
    replied
    I Googled a bindweed picture for ya: Google Image Result for http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/others/hedge-bindweed-32051.jpg

Leave a comment:

• di
    replied
    With pretty pink & white flowers & heart shaped leaves?
    I'm guessing it'd find it's way around the weedblock~determined stuff!~best bet is to attempt to get all the roots~which is obviously gonna be tricky around trees!~not sure how long it would take to exhaust it by constantly cutting each new shoot as it appears?

Leave a comment:

• maytreefrannie
    replied
    I know this sounds stupid - but what does bindweed look like? Is it the wandering, grasping long-vine-and-leafy thingy that's winding itself round my few trees and seems impossible to get rid of ?

I though I'd cut it down last year by cutting through the vines, but it's back.

Would it work to cover the area with weedblock cover?

Leave a comment:

• doozer
    replied
    Thank you everyone - looks like I'll get my hand fork out!

Leave a comment:

• fwuffydragon
    replied
    Canes are good to mark the spot if you have odd bits in crucial places.

If you have large patches of the stuff, then you really have to get down in there with a hand fork and dig it out very thoroughly and carefully.

Round up does a fairly good job, but it does mean you have to watch all the little green leaves going everywhere while you wait for it to work ... I personally won't use it near my veg.

Leave a comment:

• FionaH
    replied
    Another option is to paint the leaves with weedkiller such as Round up and seal em in a plastic sandwich bag. Time consuming but effective apparently.

Fi

Leave a comment:

• sewer rat
    replied
    As Snadger says, yep - lots of digging - but careful digging ! Try to follow the roots and ensure you get ecery last bit out - every section (no matter how small) will grow away again. I tried the cane method in my garden but there are so many plants and flowers and shrubs that the bindweed just crawled over them and not up the canes. Might be different in a veg bed or allotment situation though

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by doozer View Post
    Hi All,

What's the best way of getting rid of bindweed on the plot - it's starting to take over!

I guess it's just lots of digging is it?

Many thanks, doozer.
    Yep, roots like spagetti!

I think some people erect canes or something for it to climb up then paint the leaves with glphosate based weedkiller?

Whatever you do, DON'T ROTAVATE or you'll succeed in chopping it up into little pieces and have plantlets popping up all over!

Leave a comment:

• doozer
    started a topic Bindweed

Bindweed

Hi All,

What's the best way of getting rid of bindweed on the plot - it's starting to take over!

I guess it's just lots of digging is it?

Many thanks, doozer.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X