Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy Gardener
    replied
    Fill a water butt that has a tap at the bottom with the leaves and weigh the leaves down with a brick , no need to add water. 3 months later you will get a thick black liquid at the bottom of the barrel.
    I usually fill one gallon containers with it. You can then dilute it as you use it. I dilute it so that it has the colour of a weak cup of tea ( without milk).
    I feed all greenhouse crops with it, outdoor tomatoes and cucumbers etc.
    It keeps for months and I always try to overwinter a couple of gallons so I can begin to use it very early in the season.

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    I cut the leaves and add them to the compost as an accelerator (must have read it somewhere). I also use the leaves as a mulch.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    The bees also really like it.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
    Can I ask what might seem a silly question but what do you grow this herb for ? Most of what I have read about it is poisonous if ingested.
    It makes an excellent natural fertiliser. You can soak it in water and use that water to feed your plants. Stinks though.

Leave a comment:

• Can the Man
    replied
    Can I ask what might seem a silly question but what do you grow this herb for ? Most of what I have read about it is poisonous if ingested.
    Last edited by Can the Man; 04-01-2020, 01:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    I assure you,it WILL have life and more,and grows from knowhere,had my plants dug out the other year,and they have all come back from the roots they left in.
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 03-01-2020, 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• TrixC
    replied
    I'm in London, and mine definitely dies back in winter. Don't worry, it will grow very vigorously in the Spring!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    It is meant to be herbaceous, although mine is still in leaf - all the oldest leaves have died off, but the younger ones are still green and growing. I think it's probably semi-evergreen in places which get mild winters.

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    replied
    perfect - thanks!

I shall make a note in my calendar and have words with it if it's not showing signs of life by then...

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    It is supposed to die. It will start to come to life again in Spring. Usually, in sunny Yorkshire mine starts to grow in April. You are in warmer climes so maybe a little earlier.

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    started a topic a comfrey question

a comfrey question

Hello

I planted some comfrey last year, and it generally looked OK, but it died back over the winter.

Is it meant to do that, if so, when is it likely to grow back?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X