No announcement yet.

Taking on allotment while pregnant with newborn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Vine Plot8B, my personal opinion is that you should cut a stick when you see it, in other words take what's offered, previous advice to cover the plot is a good way to go, as you know after giving birth it is good for a young mother to have some "me" time, and it would also give you the opportunity to keep you daughter involved with you as she could be feeling a bit put out with her new sibling, anyway if you don't take it, would you not need to change your name
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

It depends how happy you are in the decision, your intuition will help you decide. May is still a bit cold for some tender plants, you could start things like courgette & cucumbers indoors on windowsills in May, the days will get longer to pop down the plot for an hour (I’ve got photos of 7pm mid May daylight) & dig out a patch of weed & plant potatoes, do this a few times during May, you don’t need to clear it all just get a patch ready & cover other areas. June loads can be sowed direct lettuce, rocket, swede, radish, chard, peas & runner beans. It will be nice growing up with the plot & seeing your progress over the years, it can begin when you want. As you grow some things at home already we could talk about that instead & vertical planting to make more of the space, companion planting to get more plants in one container, successional planting & to continually follow crops with other crops. How much garden space do you have tomatoes,peas & beans are very productive for their space,there’s a vertical yellow courgette that might be good in a pot. It might be easier for you at home? It’s difficult to know the future but you might have a feeling of what to do what’s best?

Comment

I love your train of thought Rary, although LostthePlot8b has a good ring to it right?

Thank you for your message Jungle Jane, I think I am going to concentrate on trying to maximise my produce in my garden for now with the hope that when I have more time on my side I can get an allotment space.

The area I have for planting is probably 2-3sqm, so not exactly very big at all but it is in the sunniest position in the garden so it normally grows quite well at the moment I have chard, and a good head of rhubarb in there as well as some raspberry vines, I also use the space for carrots, beetroot and I plan to put some beans at the back next year because my daughter adores beans. I also have a small shelved green house which I use for my tomatoes and seedlings as well as a patio area I use for containers for herbs, salad leaves and potatoes. I have some hanging baskets with strawberries in which do well but I just can't do courgettes for some reason, I know they're supposed to be one of the easiest things to grow but I have a real slug issue and no matter my tactics they head straight for the courgettes and decimate them.

Comment

You’re growing a good variety there,slugs are a nuisance they don’t touch my courgettes though I think they prefer my marigolds

Comment

Originally posted by Plot8B View Post
            Thank you all for your replys.

I would be taking over the plot at the beginning of February and am due in April, so right at the start of the growing season. I've been discussing with my husband and although we think it would be a great idea to bring the kids up on an allotment with the commitment I'm going to have with a newborn and toddler and that fact he works so much it would probably be too much for us for now.

I'm going to speak to the allotment manager of the council and try and defer our application on the waiting list until this little one is closer to two, that way I think it would be more manageable time wise and both kids should hopefully be at an age where I can manage them and get what I need from the plot as well as ensure I keep up with the requirements to keep our plot. It's a shame, it is a really lovely plot on a lovely allotment, hopefully the fact I was given an offer within a year of my application will mean I won't need to wait too long closer to 2022.

You could approach the committee and see if there is any help available from other members. If the plot just needs strimming and covering then you may be surprised how little you need to do, especially if you have an understanding committee.

Try and find a copy of the half hour allotment, it sure helped me when I started..

Comment

Originally posted by Plot8B View Post
              Thank you all for your replys.

I would be taking over the plot at the beginning of February and am due in April, so right at the start of the growing season. I've been discussing with my husband and although we think it would be a great idea to bring the kids up on an allotment with the commitment I'm going to have with a newborn and toddler and that fact he works so much it would probably be too much for us for now.

I'm going to speak to the allotment manager of the council and try and defer our application on the waiting list until this little one is closer to two, that way I think it would be more manageable time wise and both kids should hopefully be at an age where I can manage them and get what I need from the plot as well as ensure I keep up with the requirements to keep our plot. It's a shame, it is a really lovely plot on a lovely allotment, hopefully the fact I was given an offer within a year of my application will mean I won't need to wait too long closer to 2022.
              I have an allotment and an 11 month old baby. Honestly, I think your instincts are right. I had my plot for several years before I had my son, and we were able to keep it going while I was on maternity leave, but it was pretty hard. I don't think I could have taken on a new plot while pregnant and with a newborn, there are just too many physical tasks, particularly if the plot has a lot of perennial weeds. Yes, you can do no dig and cover unused areas with cardboard, but weeds grow so fast, and in my experience on our site newbies who don't manage to get on top of the plot in the first year often find it quite discouraging and end up quitting. Some sites also have rules for the percentage of the plot that needs to be cultivated and you might find it all a bit onerous, when it is supposed to be fun! If you can get a plot in a couple of years that would be better all around.... although trying to work a plot with two young children may have its own challenges!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X