Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long would bottled water keep in a shed ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long would bottled water keep in a shed ?

I got an allotment earlier this year and have finally got my new shed.

Obviously I'll not be going there very often at this time of year, but when i do, I'll probably fancy a cuppa .. having spent at least two weeks looking for my old camping kettle in the house (found yesterday)

I was thinking of just buying a few 2L bottles of water and leaving them in the shed, or maybe getting one of the camping style water bottles with the small tap at the base.

My question is ...How long will the water last .. would it be Ok to leave for a few weeks

Don't want to be poisoned in my new shed

Found this article about storing bottled water hope it helps.

https://www.buxtonwater.co.uk/faqs/storage-information
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

As long as the bottle is stored in darkness, either a cupboard or by using a black container, it will last indefinitely. I find it's generally sunlight that causes problems with algae formation, but I don't think it would ever make it poisonous. Personally, I use fresh water from the allotment drinking water tap each time for a brew up.
      Cheers Ant.

"Isn't it enough to believe a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it?" Douglas Adams

Comment

Bottled water has a sell-by date on it, that will be based on some pretty tough conditions, which is usually a couple of years, when sealed.

Also, if you boil it, then you will be pretty safe from most organic disease causes.

The general rule for domestic systems is to turn it every 48 hrs or so as it's open (but there is a lot of safety margin in that).

How often are you down at the plot and much water do you think you'll drink?

I'd buy a reusable bottle and take it down each time you go (this is what I do, but then I am 5 mins walk from the plot, so can top up each morning and afternoon visit).

If you are further away, I'd probably get 2l bottles, keep them in the darkest part of the shed, and avoid keeping an opened bottle for more than a week (or just use it for tea).

If you kept a vat of water at site, you'd need to treat it as unsterilized.

Possibly some kit of this sort might be an option
        https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...g-water-filter

TBH, with modern flasks etc, I found it was better simply to make a flask up before going.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          Found this article about storing bottled water hope it helps.
          https://www.buxtonwater.co.uk/faqs/storage-information
          Many thanks, I'll have a read now.

Originally posted by AntC View Post
          Personally, I use fresh water from the allotment drinking water tap each time for a brew up.
          Yes, I suppose I can do that too. Obviously not now, but in the growing season the nearest tap is quite often connected to somebody's hosepipe. Sometimes the tap is dirty, having been opened / closed by somebody with dirty hands

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
          I'd buy a reusable bottle and take it down each time you go (this is what I do, but then I am 5 mins walk from the plot, so can top up each morning and afternoon visit).

If you are further away, I'd probably get 2l bottles, keep them in the darkest part of the shed, and avoid keeping an opened bottle for more than a week (or just use it for tea).
          About 10 minutes walk, but I usually go on the bike ...4 minutes if I'm feeling fit, or 8 mins if cold / tired. The car takes longer, as the walking / cycling route has shortcuts .. the road doesn't

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REPLIES
          Last edited by WillieBee; 13-11-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said, store in dark place, even throw an old jacket or jumper over the bottles, use up any opened within the week.
            Just think about using a reusable bottle rather than those plastic bottles that are not good for the environment

Comment

I use water out of the tap on the allotment that is for watering - it's watering me too, both for cold drinking water as well as for tea. But to be honest, most of the time I bring a flask
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Water does not go bad, just like sugar or salt, unless a contaminate gets into it which a sealed bottle should not allow.
                it does get a bad taste as all the dissolved oxygen escapes during storage.
                You can shake it and leave it to get air for a bit before use, to improve flavour.
                I have safely drunk water from the boot of a car that was open over a year before, just taste is nasty but if its all you have its great.
                all water is over 11million years old after all...

Sincerely
                Steve
                I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Workslave View Post
                  Water does not go bad, just like sugar or salt, unless a contaminate gets into it which a sealed bottle should not allow.
                  it does get a bad taste as all the dissolved oxygen escapes during storage.
                  You can shake it and leave it to get air for a bit before use, to improve flavour.
                  I have safely drunk water from the boot of a car that was open over a year before, just taste is nasty but if its all you have its great.
                  all water is over 11million years old after all...

Sincerely
                  Steve
                  The only thing I’d add to this is... don’t drink direct from the bottle if you intend leaving any water in it for more than a couple of days. Water is cheap so no point in adding risk.

Comment

frost is a factor to bare in mind

Comment

If you’re boiling it I think it’s safe.

Comment

Flask or two
                        I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird

Comment

We have a mains tap water stand pipe at our allotments.
                          That is obviously safe in summer when it is on.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X